Civic - better than ever!
By winkr22 on
2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
We bought the car a few months back with overall value in mind. Overall value, for our purposes, was defined as a combination of reliability, gas mileage, safety, long term cost of ownership, and comfort. I would say in that order -- but really all of them were high on the order list. We were not looking for the type of car to modify or look thuggish, and we did not want the type of car that gets stolen for that purpose like some of the older Japanese models like Civics did. As a VALUE oriented car, this vehicle is spectacular and exactly what we wanted. We have stopped subscribing to CR as their quality of reviews over the last couple of years has gone more the way of sensationalism
Favorite Features
We liked the overall feel of the car while driving compared to Toyota or Hyundai similar priced models. The US equivalents in same price range were not as good. Safety is important to us in a small car like this, and the 2012 Civic excels at this. It feels sturdy, quiet and heavy like the Accord of yesteryear. Japanese auto engineering has been superior to US or Korean for as long as I can remember and that never seems to change.
Suggested Improvements
The dealer did not tell us to change the oil & filter after initial break-in, but I believe everyone should do this with a new car. Dealer should follow up with a call or e-mail to remind of this.
By larry180
on 12/06/11 08:55 AM (PST)

I couldn't agree more about CR. I've done the same thing. Honda's are great cars. They have a great track record. When a magazine recommends a Focus and Elantra and not a Civic it's time to unsubscribe. As for American vs. Foreign, I'm all American. When was the last time someone bought a Flat Screen TV that was made in the U.S.? What's more American, a Camaro made in Canada or a Civic made in America? Point is, we still have Freedom of choice.

By larry180
on 04/09/12 10:20 AM (PDT)

The point I'm trying to make is that in my opinion CR is not as unbiased as people think, whether they're bashing Honda's, Fords or whatever. At the end of 5-10 years we'll see who's left standing, the Civic or the Focus and who has the better reliability and resell value. By the way, check out the current Car magazines, they're not as fond of the Focus as they used to be. Good Luck!