Used 1996 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

1996 Geo Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

best little car ever built! mine is an automatic...
By Brenda Cea-Collazo

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my geo since 2006 (I'm the 3rd owner) n love every minute of her , nicknamed her ladybug, since she's red....only have done the basic maintenance, except recently had to get brake work, and radiator hoses replaced plus the timing belt n water pump replaced...since I drive in town n not much on the highway I know that does a lot of wear n tear on a car n in our desert it is even more brutal...I got the car at 154,000 it is now close to 204,000....

Zippiness n gas mileage n of course the guppy mouth in front :D

?
By Marvelous Marv

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I drive to work, all freeway speeds and on the "flat". ONE WAY, BUMPER TO BUMPER. No need to pass. Zero acceleration at this speed, but more than need acceleration in town.Have air conditioning, is adequate with tinted windows to keep comfortable at 100 degrees after 10-15 minutes of cooling. Will not stay cool at idling--needs 1500-200 rpm to cool. Adequately. Added cruise control-- millage increased from 42 mpg to 45.6 mpg at 50-60 mph with this change. Nothing breaks, excellent car but VERY NOISY--have double insulated doors with Dynomat sound insulation, it helped ---now I can tell the noise is coming from the floor-- 95-98 db--OSHA action time for this amount of noise is 15 minutes.

Gas mileage

Larger gas tank. Reduce noise levels

Gets the job done cheaply
By Rich

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Bought it in November 08 after going bankrupt, needed a cheap car that got great mileage to drive my 120 mile round trip to work 5-6 days a week. Paid $600 with 110k miles on it, wasn't running at the time. Previous owner was a kid who destroyed a new clutch he put in. I put in a new clutch, starter, left axle, and plugs/wires and drove it to 140k without any problems. Replaced timing belt/water pump and it now has 173k. Cost $19 to fill up for 300 miles. Been in a minor fender bender and keeps running. Can't complain for the price I paid and cost of ownership, I'd get another! It won't win any races or win any awards for looks or comfort, but it goes from A to B.

Cheap to maintain. Clutch, starter, water pump, timing belt, and axle) ran ran me about $400, did the work myself. Oil changes every 4k. Ride quality is pretty good, wife and I have taken some pretty long weekend trips, 5 or 6 hours is no problem!

Interior is a little on the cheap side but seats haven't torn after all these miles. Road noise is terrible at 65- 70mph.

Favorite Car no matter what Scenario
By D66M6D

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I've had my Metro for about 5 years, with 3 years of consecutive driving. I moved from a relatively flat area to the alpine mountains, trumped by Subarus and Heavy Duty Diesels. The Geo is great! The winter conditions forced me to learn how to control my FWD car without 4WD. Fuel economy is outstanding; about 35mpg. I can put $20 in my tank and run about 2 weeks, or about 280 miles.

Suspension, low vehicle weight, quiet engine idle, cornering ability and turn radius.

Thicker fenders and exterior plating. Maybe a rollcage feature, other than that, not really a whole lot. I'd do some upgrades on the seats and the interior. Lower the dash height, extend leg room, pull front headlights from pockets so faces are flush with front of car, instead of inset 4 inches.

duck on a junebug
By michael

1996 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. I purchased my 96 metro 5 speed for only 800.00. At first (being a bigger guy) I was actually embarrassed to be seen in it, then as I would drive by the fuel pumps, and see people standing at the pumps looking all depressed, I learned to smile as I drove past them. As far as acceleration... Don't need it. I just leave a little earlier going somewhere and as people pass me I just think"go ahead, burn all your gas up... Don't care."as far as parking, it's like parking a go-cart.......... Bottom line........... I love this car!

fuel mileage,like driving a go-cart on the road....legally

nothing.for 800.00 i live with it.