Used 1996 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
best little car ever built! mine is an automatic...
By Brenda Cea-Collazo on 02/21/15 03:24 AM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my geo since 2006 (I'm the 3rd owner) n love every minute of her , nicknamed her ladybug, since she's red....only have done the basic maintenance, except recently had to get brake work, and radiator hoses replaced plus the timing belt n water pump replaced...since I drive in town n not much on the highway I know that does a lot of wear n tear on a car n in our desert it is even more brutal...I got the car at 154,000 it is now close to 204,000....

?
By Marvelous Marv on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I drive to work, all freeway speeds and on the "flat". ONE WAY, BUMPER TO BUMPER. No need to pass. Zero acceleration at this speed, but more than need acceleration in town.Have air conditioning, is adequate with tinted windows to keep comfortable at 100 degrees after 10-15 minutes of cooling. Will not stay cool at idling--needs 1500-200 rpm to cool. Adequately. Added cruise control-- millage increased from 42 mpg to 45.6 mpg at 50-60 mph with this change. Nothing breaks, excellent car but VERY NOISY--have double insulated doors with Dynomat sound insulation, it helped ---now I can tell the noise is coming from the floor-- 95-98 db--OSHA action time for this amount of noise is 15 minutes.

Gets the job done cheaply
By Rich on 07/29/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Bought it in November 08 after going bankrupt, needed a cheap car that got great mileage to drive my 120 mile round trip to work 5-6 days a week. Paid $600 with 110k miles on it, wasn't running at the time. Previous owner was a kid who destroyed a new clutch he put in. I put in a new clutch, starter, left axle, and plugs/wires and drove it to 140k without any problems. Replaced timing belt/water pump and it now has 173k. Cost $19 to fill up for 300 miles. Been in a minor fender bender and keeps running. Can't complain for the price I paid and cost of ownership, I'd get another! It won't win any races or win any awards for looks or comfort, but it goes from A to B.

Favorite Car no matter what Scenario
By D66M6D on 10/03/09 10:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I've had my Metro for about 5 years, with 3 years of consecutive driving. I moved from a relatively flat area to the alpine mountains, trumped by Subarus and Heavy Duty Diesels. The Geo is great! The winter conditions forced me to learn how to control my FWD car without 4WD. Fuel economy is outstanding; about 35mpg. I can put $20 in my tank and run about 2 weeks, or about 280 miles.

duck on a junebug
By michael on 09/12/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. I purchased my 96 metro 5 speed for only 800.00. At first (being a bigger guy) I was actually embarrassed to be seen in it, then as I would drive by the fuel pumps, and see people standing at the pumps looking all depressed, I learned to smile as I drove past them. As far as acceleration... Don't need it. I just leave a little earlier going somewhere and as people pass me I just think"go ahead, burn all your gas up... Don't care."as far as parking, it's like parking a go-cart.......... Bottom line........... I love this car!

Loved it!
By pfrey71 on 05/14/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I had my Geo Metro 4 door (4 cyl) from 1996 through 1999. I loved that car! The only money I had to put into it other than regular maintenance items was a fuel pump relay ($5 part, $50 tow). I had 136,000 miles on it when it was involved in a multi-car pile up and was totalled due to it's high mileage (two days after I mailed in my final payment- UGH!). I wish I could have kept it until it died. As for safety, it was impacted four times in that accident...once by a tractor trailer, twice by an Audi, and then it hit the wall and of all six cars involved in the accident mine was the only car that was able to be driven away from the scene and I suffered no injuries. Fabulous car!

Go Geo
By Geogo on 12/10/08 13:59 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

I have owned the car for 2 years and have put over 115K miles on it.. I have replaced nothing, and beat and abused this car and it won't break. Everything works, looks decent. Gets about 35mpg, costs $8 to fill up right now with gas being $1.75. I have changed the oil about once every 10-15K miles and it never uses any oil. Starts every time.

So Far So Good
By TSchneider on 05/24/08 06:24 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car in '04 w/ 110k on it for $1100. I now have 202k on it. I get 35-40 mpg hwy at 65 and 32 overall. MPG would be better with a stick. Replaced entire exhaust in '05 ($700). At 131k rebuilt camshaft and replaced timing belt and water pump. About a month ago I had water pump and timing belt done again ($700)w/ 200k on it. A/C and Heater blower no longer work. Brakes have been done twice ($300) per visit. Tires are $200 per set! Car still runs very smoothly and gets me anywhere I want to go.

No care that is more reliable
By GG on 04/26/08 00:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in 96, I drove this car 45 miles to work and back every day for years. The car logged over 260,000 miles before I gave it to my son. I even rolled the car on its side in a ditch and never had to do any major repaors other than body work. The engine and trans worked like they did they day I bought even after 260,000 miles. Amazing, great gas milage, great reliabilty, great car. If you can find one of these cars that have been taken care of I would recomend it.

My Geo
By walter thompson on 11/27/07 17:42 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

My Geo Metro is fun and a good car to drive if you have a low budget like I do.