Used 2003 Ford Windstar SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

2003, good, solid minivan
By robinsweb

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

In the 90's I drove a Dodge Caravan, which was about as safe as driving a tuna fish can. Got a new 1997 Windstar, then a new 2003 Windstar. I like driving newish cars, but I'm keeping this one until it falls apart, because even after 7 years, (77,000 miles) I still LOVE IT! Nice looking for a minivan, It still looks spiffy and not too outdated. Paint in good shape. Some minor problems others have observed, like flashing interior lights and dash lights, of which I've paid to have repaired MULTIPLE times. (Life is full of compromises.)

Favorite Features

Iím not kidding, the gas mileage is INCREDIBLE for a car this heavy and sturdy. I've get 26 mpg highway on trips to the beach. The beach is 165 miles from our house, I can go to beach, back home and back to the beach on ONE tank of gas! How crazy is that?

Suggested Improvements

Of concern is this axle breaking, listed in recalls. I am going to take it for recall as I want to keep this car on the road for as long as possible. What is Ford thinking making such an ugly car as the Flex and dumping their popular minivan line?

broken rear axle
By Dena

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Good family car but unsafe. Recently 2days ago my rear axle cracked going 50mph causing me to lose control. Thank God one of my children were not driving at the time and that I wasn't on a major highway going 65-70 mph cause I don't know if I could have got it under control.

Suggested Improvements

I strongly suggest after reviewing other articles on line that Ford do a major recall and correct this issue before SOMEONE GETS KILLED. This was very scary for me and my children who were with me at the time

Windstar 2003 SE
By marcovi48

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003Windstar SE.I like this van a lot but I have a lot of electrical problems,the alternator change 3 times power locks after 4 months of haven this car stop working.transmition replace at 81000,abs light always on and now my rear axle broke in half,so can not say that this is a good car for the $32000 that I pay,

good van, quirky issues
By txmusatang68

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 1998 Windstar before. Loved the interior and features. We sold it after 186k miles. This van had some issues, but was reliable. So we bought a 2003 used, 85k miles. Comfort great! Style good. Heavy seats, but very sturdy. Replaced cruise switches - $400 part avail from FORD ONLY. Intake manifold gasket - $450. Now, 9k miles/3 months later, transmission - $1350. Found out it was 2nd rebuild of tranny. Coincidentally, 1998 had tranny replaced under warranty. I see a trend here, Ford! And electrical issues - passenger front door doesn't turn on lights, theft system works when it has a mind to (embarrassing). 98 was crazy too - humidity seemed to be the issue there.

Favorite Features

Seats, V6 motor,

Suggested Improvements

transmission, electrical improvements. a little more mpg would be nice, but not at the cost of power.

2003 Windstar
By w. sick

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a reliable and totally trouble free vehicle with lots of both passenger and load carrying capacity.

Favorite Features

Toatlly removeable seats wich maximum load capacity if needed.

Suggested Improvements

With today's transmission advances, a 5 or 6-speed would be desireable.