1999 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
MONEY PIT! PLEASE DONT BUY!
By chicmama004 on 01/29/13 22:58 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

My husband and I bought this car at 90k miles. We have had nothing but trouble! This car was well maintained with records but around 100k the engine light came on and would not go off no matter what the mechanic fixed. We had to replace the water pump, timing belt and then 5k miles later another water pump. It drains batteries very fast. The worst thing is that the automatic doors jammed and now won't open its to much money to replace them so my kids climb over the front seats to get in the back. The horn quit working also the power locks. Now my mechanic is telling be the freeze plugs need to be replaced and the engine will have to be pulled out. 800 dollars for 49 cent plugs. Horrid!

Transmission Nightmare!
By alkouv on 01/29/13 19:33 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this van with 66,000 miles on it. Once it hit 100,000 miles, it went to pot! We knew the air intake manifold was bad when we bought it, but the dealership gave us the runaround saying they didn't make them anymore so we couldn't get it replaced. Finally found someone to do it years later. It left us stranded in another state when tranny went out around 110,000 miles. B/t tranny and engine work, we spent over $3,000....and then less than a year later....it threw a rod! So to the junkyard it went. I was warned about these before buying them, and I wish I had listened. Please stay far away from these vans!

Wish I never had...
By bigiq on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Up until 60K this van worked problem-free and we enjoyed it. The body felt strong and solid. Inside was comfortable and roomy and was nicely equipped with all the typical features. Once we hit 60K (this is when the warranty expires? hmm.) the engine became a nightmare. Every couple of months a major, costly component required replacement. The engine started to leak oil into the spark plug area which was difficult to repair. Then two independent mechanics informed us the entire engine required replacement and that's when we traded it in. This was a frustrating ownership experience. I understand Ford today is a lot better but I don't think I'll buy one again anytime soon.

Fix or repair daily ( ford )
By unhappy ford on 04/01/10 18:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

How can a company like this possibly still be in business? Do they really think that after having a bad experience people are going to keep coming back? They build these vehicles to fall apart so that we will pay them to fix them. I took care of this van and things had to be replaced over and over. Transmission at 110,000 km on its way out again at 124,000 km engine light stays on and I cant even insure it because our aircare program wont test vehicles with an illuminated engine light. Tires wear out quickly. Poor gas mileage. I think the only reason it got a 5 star safety rating is because it spends more time in the shop then it does on the road. I will never buy a Ford again!

Workhorse
By Banjo on 02/16/10 08:15 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought this baby after it had been on the dealer's lot for a long time and got a good deal on it. We had to replace the tranny at around 100K but otherwise it's been a total workhorse. it's got 150K on it and going strong. It's a bit banged up so we don't worry about throwing just about anything in it. A mechanic told us the 3.0 V6 is the best engine option and it's been good getting around 20 mpg. We hope to get another couple of years out of it.

Minor problems
By Safaa on 11/12/08 08:08 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Bought it little over 4 years ago with 108k miles. Now has 139k. Prior owner kept it up very well. But now we noticed that it was in a wreck since clear coat is peeling and overspray found on pass door weatherstrip. We had no problems with the transmission or prior owner had it replaced. Check engine light came on back in '07 and we bought manifold gasket and bolts and we replaced all in our garage for $80 otherwise dealer wanted $400. Last week we replaced rack and pinion due to noise from turning and paid $650 to have it repalced along with fuel filter, coolant and trany fluid flush. We also replaced all four tires last summer for $250. Will keep our Windstar for another 3 yrs or so.

Solid, Dependable, Efficient
By CarolynDan on 01/02/08 13:47 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

As I get ready to pass along this, my second Windstar, I want to relate how very pleased I have been with this minivan. Through 200,000+ miles it has performed like a champ, very dependable, very easy to drive, very much the family car. Like other Fords of its ilk, the transmission was shot at about 140,000, but the rebuilt is doing fine. The only other major mechanical problem was replacing the steering rack at about 165,000. The engine is well sized, giving a lot of power and zip while at the same time consistently delivering 20+ mpg on evenly mixed city/highway driving.

Poor quality and poor company
By Brad on 04/20/07 20:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This car is a good idea but poor execution. Transmission failed at 90k and is a known problem with this van. The check engine light comes on because of clogged EGR circiut . A/C blend louvers break, known problem. The worst thing is that you may have to get these fixed over and over again.

Transmission, check engine
By Alan on 02/08/06 06:17 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was great right up to about 75,000 miles. Then things went poorly. I have had electrical problems, the check engine light keeps telling me that an o2 sensor is bad; changed two times. Then at around 105,000 the tranny started acting weird. Stuck in second gear, O/D light flashing. I have the 3.8; many mechanics have refused to tune it up because it is so hard to work on.

I Guess I'm Lucky
By JP on 01/09/06 22:33 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I feel lucky after reading all the negative reviews. With 140K miles, we are rolling along pretty problem free. I anticipated worse even when I bought it. We have pulled trailers well over 10,000 miles of its life and the transmission is still intact. I liked most everything about the van and just hoped it would be reliable. It has been. Poor sounding sound system. Some minor electrical issues. The trailer wiring system was a pain.

1 2 3 4 5 next »