SHO - The only Taurus I'd own
By RedGeminiPA on
1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan
I bought my '97 SHO with 105,996 miles. Since then I've driven about 3,000 miles with no major problems. I did have the driver's side tierod end replaced because it was getting dry (no grease fittings) and very noisy. It will soon need ball joints for the same reason (drying out). My average mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg. Car looks great - black metalic w/ chrome wheels... real head-turner! Mach Audio, moonroof, tan leather, factory cell phone - tons of features for this class! 4-wheel air ride is great on highways, but rough on bumps. Yamaha 32V V8 has good power and nice exhaust note. Will need suspension work - noisy. I paid $5995.00. Nice for the $.
Favorite Features
Overall style is great. Mach Audio has good sound. 32 valve Yamaha V-8 - 235 hp. Comfortable leather interior. Moonroof. 16" Chrome wheels. Handles nice. Decent gas mileage for a V-8. Low insurance cost - $18 / year less than my 2001 Saturn L200 (4 cyl). Auto climate control is nice.
Suggested Improvements
Put grease fitting on the joints! Cup holders are worthless. Interior rattles over every bump. CD changer skips over most bumps. Wiper speeds don't work correctly. Interior door panels are working loose. All minor problems expected with age and mileage.