2009 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ranger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Sort Reviews by

just wow for a small truck ford ranger 4x4 sport automatic
By onthebrook

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

well i went to buy a small chevy S10 pickup truck at the time i was looking i passed a local used care dealer .. on the lot was a 2009 ford ranger 4x4 sport so i desided to buy ... i could not be more happy with the truck she pulls a lot of fire wood i put the truck in over cut overs where some people wont even put there 4x4 atvs ... i put a cap on the truck and i must say i have had the truck packed full of green fire wood ... the truck has been in the rough spots and proven to be a work hourse .... i say go for a for ranger if looking for a small truck with big guts ....

Favorite Features

well i like the fact that my 4x4 ranger is heavy duty and has a lot of hauling power

Suggested Improvements

put extra springs on her to handle weight better like i did .. i got 3 extra leaf springs added per side

Off-Road Machine
By jonno11

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck brand new in 2009, in a little over two years of driving I have put 43,000 kilometres on it. Just finished a road trip of 1800 kilometres through the Rocky Mountains, and it performed flawlessly. Only anomaly was the tire pressure sensor going off during extreme altitude changes, though that is a sensor issue that most vehicles have. I have used the vehicles for construction work as well as daily commuting and weekend warrior duty off-road. It has hauled ATV's, trailers, and a 6000lb camper and done s without complaint and with decent mileage. I generally average above EPA mileage, especially now that the truck is broken in. I recommend it as an inexpensive workhorse.

Favorite Features

I love the LSD rear end and the 4.10 gears, and the 5 speed Auto makes good use of the trucks power and torque bands. The fender flares are aggressive, as are the Y-spoke wheels. The sliding rear window allows me to carry long objects without dropping the tailgate. I love the look of the grill and the clear front lights.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the truck came with 4 wheel disc brakes, a lockable tailgate, and more aggressive factory tires. I would also have loved if an electronic locking rear diff was offered, like the Frontier.

Love it
By GREAT TRUCK

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this truck at all and I have 26,000 miles on it now, runs great and ride great! I owned a s-10 with a 4.3 v6 and it was not half the truck as the ranger. This rides and feels like a bigger truck!

Favorite Features

Price, price, price, I got mine for $4500.00 under invoice. I payed $16,800.00 great deal! And the truck looks great too! Cool truck!

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them, I will buy another

Disappointed
By Disappointed

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looks good and drives good. After 6,000 miles developed any annoying rattle in the passenger side of the dash and the dealer could not find the source. Worst part was that after 5-6 months the vehicle started rusting. A couple of spots on the body, through the paint and also some painted spots under the bed and finally inside the wheels. I do live at the beach, but my 1996 Jeep Cherokee, which was 8 years old when I moved there, took 3 to 4 years to start rusting and my girlfriend lived in the Keys for 20 years and never had issues with her 3 Hondas. This is ridiculous, especially since Ford claims that their quality is even with Honda and Toyota. Warranty doesn't cover this, of course.

Favorite Features

The vehicle's looks and the fact that it sits up higher than a car, as all trucks do.

Suggested Improvements

Put primer on all of the paintable surfaces, so it will not rust. This is not an unreasonable request! Other car makers do it. Also sometimes the truck had trouble shifting into high gear at 40 to 45 mph. Sometimes it would shift okay and other times not...fix this too.

Ford Rattles
By bsalsman

this is my 6th ford ranger and although it is i fun little truck it rattles like crazy around the drivers door.After 25 trips to tyhe dealer the warranty is off and now they wont even return my calls. its a shame that Ford cannot control after sales service. This will probably be my last Ford because of this issue.

Favorite Features

love the four wheel drive and towing power. leather seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish .

Good Looking, Fun to drive
By Aaron

Can't go wrong with the ranger, especially in the FX4 version. The styling is nice for a truck of its price range, power is quite decent and the upgrades I've got add quite a bit (chrome step bars, tailpipe and mirrors). All around good vehicle, easy to maneuver in the city.

Favorite Features

Most everything, except...

Suggested Improvements

Seems to have trouble doing sharp turns in 4X4 mode, not in 4x2 however.

Tough and Fun Truck to Drive
By Alfaromeo164

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck brand new and I now have 30000 in just 8 months. I havent had any real bad experiences. The only thing that stopped working is the dome light, which only turns on every so often, At 10,000KM I noticed that my clutch pedal started making a funny squeaking noise, Sounds like it needs lubrication. At 18,000km The passenger side seat stopped reclining. Im not worried because its all covered under warranty. Other than this the truck runs flawless, and is great to drive around. It handles great in Snow and sticks to the road. Its a good buy for the money. I would highly reccomend putting a tonneau cover for a little better fuel mileage.

Favorite Features

MP3/satellite Stereo, 5 spd transmission, rear slider window, Powerful and smooth engine, great pulling power for its class.

Suggested Improvements

Style is kind of dated, Bigger wheels, gas mileage could be better,

Quality is still Job #1
By MiniMe1969

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Ranger, and I was torn between this and the Toyota Tacoma. Bottom line, for $6k less I got a truck that was just as capable. Perfect for hauling dirtbikes and associated gear to the track. My only complaint is the fuel economy. If you are going to buy one of these, make sure you buy the 4 dr supercab.

Favorite Features

Smaller truck, easy to maneuver. Plenty of power, great styling.

Suggested Improvements

By this time, Ford should have been able to greatly improve fuel economy. All Rangers should be made with the 4 door supercab.

Great truck for the money
By fx4man

Good truck, with good gas mileage. Small enough to do a daily commute in city traffic, and easy to park in small spaces. Would recommend the FX4, with the payload package. There are a few squeaks and rattles in the cabin over hard bumps, but that can be easily fixed. Runs great in 4x4 mode, especially with 4.10 rear. The only real downside is the Goodyear RT/S tires. They ride good on road, but do not grip well on wet roads, and not too great in the snow. BF Goodrich A/T tires would make the truck feel more capable in rain/snow. The leather seats are very comfortable and supportive over long rides. I highly recommend this truck. It's not as fancy, but it is just as capable for the price.

Favorite Features

Like the increased rear spring rate, helps when carrying light to medium weight loads. Leather interior is very nice. The steering is sharp and responsive. Bed extender is extremely handy.

Suggested Improvements

Occasional squeak or rattle over bumps. Fit and finish could be just a little bit better to be perfect, but this isn't an expensive Mercedes. Also could use better tires. Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires aren't bad, but BF Goodrich tires would make this a very good truck.

Beyond Expectations
By Rangerpilot

2009 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Ranger XLT supercab automatic w/ the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder w/AC power windows, & CD. After reading all the average to poor reviews on the ranger, I only intended this vehicle as a low cost commuter and multi-purpose vehicle. It is actually quite good. Excellent price at less than $15K, acceptable acceleration, terrific fuel economy for a truck at 24 mpg average for 60/40 highway/city, and good build quality which Ford is now known for. I am very impressed. I drive a Mercedes Benz C350 as my other car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy at 25 highway and 21 city, easy to beat the EPA sticker

Suggested Improvements

This truck is on its way out, just keep it the same, 2009 has side airbags I heard