1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Overall Good Truck

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Overall Good Truck
By Phil on

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Ranger. I wanted a full size Chevy but this was cheaper. I bought it used for less than $5000 in 2002. I put 110k miles on it and it now has 175k. It has been a good truck overall, however I have had to replace the engine and transmission. It has the 4 cylinder and auto. They both went out, the transmission first and then the engine. In all fairness I pulled a boat with it which may have caused it. I think it should get better mileage for a 4 cylinder. It only gets 20-22mpg no matter highway or city. Other than that maintenance has been very minimal, I've done the brakes a couple of times and replaced the tires and a some light bulbs.

Looks good, sits high, rubber instead of carpet.

Better mpg or more power. Engine shouldn't have gone out at 140k. Remove the speed limiter. If I get another one it will have PW, PL, and cruise. Ford should add the 5.0 v8 out of the 99-01 Explorer as an option. It would get as good or better mpg and have a ton more power than the 4 cylinder.