Used 2000 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

It saved me!
By stefff

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

My first beautiful 2000 Mustang V6 coupe, purchased in 2010, saved me when some tattooed meth freak hit my driver's door at 60mph as I was making a left turn on a small two lane (no passing zone). I was dazed but the car was totaled, as was f-wit's Honda. He walked away, donchaknow. The replacement, another base 2000 coupe, is even nicer, with fewer miles and the same excellent reliability. It has a bit of clutch chatter, but nothing's perfect. I enjoy every mile and am happy to have some steel wrapped around me!

The V6 engine is strong and well behaved. The stock cheapo seats are comfortable. The gearbox is great with perfect ratios. It is hard to be critical of a car as good as this that sells for $3k - $6k thgese days.

The seat belts are problematic; if given a half twist accidentally they will lock up down inside on the retainer spool and refuse to release. Been through this with both cars. The locking mechanism on the rear seatbacks can jam and refuse to release.

Mustang Engine Problem
By maria1669

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 10 months ago at 57,000 miles and have since put on 12,000 miles. I have had no problems with this car since I got it and have done all the regular preventative maintenance and oil changes on date. A rod just broke out of nowhere and now I need to replace the engine. There are only 69,000 miles on this vehicle. This is rediculous. I will not buy another Ford again. I thought of this car as an A+ hands down, and then got blindsided by this incident. Not happy about it and very disappointed.

style, how it rides

Warranties, deck needs improvement unless you custom put your own deck in

Still Loving it after 12 years
By karent1231

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Bought my Stang new in 2000, would have loved the GT but fell in love with the Gold V6 with the 5 speed. The color still gets compliments today. Have 67K on it, and until yesterday have only had to replace tires, a battery, front brakes,bad window/lock switch and a fuel line which rotted out . Yesterday the clutch blew. I cant even be upset about it. The maintenance on this car has been next to nothing. I love the performance, still has a lot of kick! One bad paint spot on the roof and not happy with the fog on the headlights. Great car and will be buying another when this one decides to go to heaven

Gold paint, responsive 5 speed, favorite body styling till the 2012 came out but feel guilty admiring them I love this one so much.

The foggy headlights and the way water pools in the spoiler after giving her a bath

One Amazing Car
By andrewj2k

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I have owned my mustang for about 8 years. I purchased it used in 2004 with about 98k on the odometer. Today I am proud to announce I broke the acclaimed 250k mark!!!! The car still runs strong and I'm about to have the transmission serviced for the first time tomorrow at the Ford dealership (my friend recommended I do it, I kept topping off fluid every once in a while, nothing major, no leaks). The car still runs strong, shifts great, smooth ride. Added cold air intake, dual exhaust to give it a better sound and thats about it! Full synthetic oil changes at about 3,500 miles. City & Hwy miles... I love this car!!!!

It's been great, since it's been paid off for a couple of years now, I'm enjoying the financial return of owning the car outright! I love this vehicle and it's solid built transmission and engine.

The seats are becoming uncomfortable, I'm guessing because it's been sat in for 250k miles... I'm sure with any car with this much riding it would need a new interior, I'll look into it, probably when they fall out ;).

1 1/2 years late......
By josh37

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I poasted a review of this car when i first got it in the begining of 2010. I have done NO engine or transmission work to this car. It has been very reliable and has never left me stranded. I did have to have it painted because of the cheap paint that ford used. This was my first car, and it's special to me, i named him "black stallion." My AC doesnt work, buttons started falling off the radio so i got a JVC radion/cd player installed. The ride isnt bad, the car doesnt jar your neck when you hit a bump like my grandpaws 2010 mustang. I tell myself that i want a new car, but everytime i get in "black stallion" i say, what was i thinking, this is my baby. Gas millage isnt that bad either.

Handling, styling, brakes, almost everything.

Better paint; which has probably been fixed in the newer ones, better seats; very plain looking.