Used 2014 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

JUNK JUNK JUNK
By Angela

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is JUNK! Transmission slips, nothing but issues after having it for 2,000 miles. brought car in they wouldnt fix it until the 3rd time i went with the mechanic. WOSRT CAR EVER! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM FORD AGAIN!! Corporate is USELESS, all they said was they can't do anything about it. JUNK

FORD'S REVENGE ON AMERICA
By HARRY BERGER

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 73 yrs I thought I would treat myself to my first new car ever. Bearing in mind we were a ford family since 1947 and I drove a 2004 mercury marquis for 11 yrs it was reasonable to think buying a new ford from wayne akers ford in lake worth florida was the right thing. I bought a new focus and after 10 days and the trans locking up 4 times in 400 miles I returned to the dealership to uplift this deal. They pleaded with me to take another new 2014 ford focus same model same deal same price after 4-5 hours of fighting with them they convinced me to take another . I went along with their offer ..... But when I was presented with a bill for around 2400.00 I insisted they call me a cab . As I refused either to take mycar back and or accept their offer of "Even exchange" with a diff of 2400. They reduced it to 1200....No thank you then 600 . After 6 hours of fighting I agreed to 400. The next morning I woke up and checked the "Very same car" not to be so they substituted a much cheaper model over a 1000.00 cheaper I drove to the dealership and they refused to acknowledge this.. (oops I am a retired mechanic had my own shop) so off to small claims court their attorney claimed they made a mistake and pleaded with me to accept 1500.00 so they did not want to go in front of the judge. I lost 325.00 on the filing fees. The new focus was better the transmission did not lock up but jerked hesitated late and early changes car jerked violently when I went to the dealer a good few times their standard response "We could not duplicate problem" eventually the loud banging the dealer could not deny they replaced the trans. As for the very very poor gas mileage 16-18 mpg they told me they checked and I was getting 29.5 mpg I decided to make a pictural history everytime I filled up 3/4 tank 1/2 ank 1/4 tank and the comp proved that I was getting barely 17/19 at best I advised the dealer that the violent jerking was affecting my spinal surgery which the neuro surgery determined I was permanently disabled . After 2 yrs of very bad service horrible horrible car . I traded it in for a 2013 ford fusion landed costing me over 21000.00 for a car that should be crushed recalled ford screwed up 2013/4 ford focus and costs americans millions of dollars in fords screw up possibly worse than the ford pinto or the edsel

Ford's just can't get a transmission correct
By John

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The issues of junk transmissions keep on coming when it comes to Ford. The Focus has an automatic manual transmission (it is a manual trans that shifts automatically) but this one has been in the shop 4 times to have the trans gone repaired. They have done a recall but just cannot seem to fix it. My friend is on her 3rd repair at 20k mi and is going to lemon law the car. The trans slips under mild acceleration causing it to shudder in the 1st couple gears. The electronics package for cell phones is terrible. We would struggle to get it to pair with our cell phones and it would work for about 2 months then stop again. We just gave up. Also the interior is made out of cheap materials. The sun has completely eaten away the vents in the rear window deck and it looks like the car is 20 years old. Bad thing is we live in Oregon and get like 3 months of sun a year. Lastly there is no rear seat leg room. When I am in the car I have to jam my legs up against the dash so that my 11yo son has some leg room. I would not recommend this car.

Still not sure
By Roslyn Levit

2014 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased by 2014 Ford Focus in February and after driving it for awhile I was not happy. The jerkiness made me crazy, especially in stop and go traffic. I then received the recall notice about the software update for the transmission. The first two days after I received it, it was worse, but after a couple of weeks it pretty much stopped which is what the dealership told me would happen. The software update made a big difference and I also felt more comfortable putting my foot on the gas. I had become hesitatant because I was afraid of the jerking. I have since received the notice about the transmission extended warranty for 10 years or 150,000 miles. I am still not 100% comfortable but felt better than I did in the beginning. Other than the transmission issues, I have enjoyed driving the car. I like the phone Sync, being able to get Sirius.

Reliable and fun to drive
By Anne

2014 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new/preowned 2014 Ford Focus Sedan, basic model (not an SE or Titanium), 5-speed, manual transmission. It had 16,000 miles on it at purchase. After driving it daily for 2 years, it now has 33,000 miles on it. I have only taken it in for new tires at 30,000 miles. I have had no trouble with this car at all and it is a pleasure to drive! (Mind you I change the oil and rotate tires whenever the timer on the car tells me to) In 2016 it still looks new and runs like new. I highly recommend it to drivers who enjoy controlling the car with a stick shift, good power, a sleek look and the decent gas mileage that comes with a compact car.