Used 2004 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Not made to last
By ahenle

2004 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car from my brother with about 60K miles on it. The check engine light came on soon afterwards, the IMRC actuator was not working. Brake rotors wore out about every 20K miles, apparently that's normal. At 119K, IAC went bad, then everything else did too. Fuel lines, fuel pump, MAF sensor, O2 sensors, bad cat, and the brakes squealed even with new rotors and pads. It was a great car until about 100K miles, then it gave up. Oh yeah, the air filter is "lifetime" or 100K miles, then it's 500$ Poor quality parts, disposable American car. My 93 Subaru has 180K on it, runs great, very few problems. Sad American cars can't really compete with Japanese cars that are made in America

Good fuel economy when everything works. Which is not very often.

American car manufacturers should use better parts. Either that or make the poor quality parts easier to reach, so you don't have to take them to the dealer to replace for large amounts of money.

Fun to drive at a price
By luckyintx

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2004 Focus ZTS in Dec 2007 with 60K. Nice car but had been in some fender bender where the front bumper wasnt installed back correctly. After eating 2 sets of 4 tires, I found out the rims were bent and it has the rarest of Ford Focus ZTS rims ( wide 5 spoke with slit in the middle) nice design though. The 4 disc in dash CD changer wouldnt work when I bought it and replaced it with a DD Kenwood that sounds great! Since it was bought, I have had nothing but strictly electrical issues, which no one can figure out. I have seen others with this make/ model have this same problem, lights flickering all the time. Overall this car has some get-up-and- go for the size engine.

sunroof, easy/ simple dash layout, easy to read gauge cluster, rear spoiler, nice size trunk.

bad electrical in this car, needed to be fixed before design.

Great car
By baxter83

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I loved it every day since. It now has 141,000 miles. The only issues that I've had were minor, until recently. Heated seat (drivers) stopped working. Which Ford fixed. Link ends on struts keep coming loose. Makes a clunking noise. The transmission died at 130,000 miles (Covered by aftermarket warranty). I thought the Alternator died a few weeks ago. After spending 3 hours changing it. I come to find out it wasn't dead. Low voltage was caused by a blown inline fuse in the negative battery cable. All in all I am very happy with that car. So happy I just bought a 2012 focus. Let's hope it handles better in the snow then a 2004.

Interior, Gas mileage, Handling, Pep for a 4cyl.

Good car,i would like more power.
By zts04chuck

2004 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Good car bought with 44k on it. It's fun to drive but i wish it had more power& the clutch was a bit more aggressive ,if you have your rpm's up when you shift into 2nd,you have to drop them down before it will reengage. First thing i had to do is replace the lock cylinder. The car has91k on it & i have replaced the front struts right side was different than left,right side was bad. Left wheel bearing was replaced as well with the front breaks . I do use the car to tow my trailer w/ATV or mower on it about 1500 lbs,& it does well,i get about 30 mpg average.

I like the tilt steering wheel,the lay out of interior,seems roomy for smaller car. power windows,locks are nice to.

stiffer clutch,more power,better mileage,better latch on arm rest,better electronics(radio some times shuts off,& lights in dash come on really dim when cars is off)

Great Car for Commuting
By mike_231

2004 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2007 with 30k miles, just sold with 66k miles. Overall a great daily driver. Got between 28 and 32 MPG in mostly highway driving. Reliability was above average - only items I replaced were front brake rotors and sway bar end links (a common problem?). Otherwise, I only performed routine maintenance at the intervals suggested in the owner's manual. Good braking and cornering feel with decent acceleration. Complaints include strange options (had PW, PL, power mirrors and remote keyless entry, but no cruise control or tilt steering column), and everything under the car was rusted at the time I sold it. Overall, though, a great value.

Remote keyless entry on a very inexpensive car, decent sized trunk, good gas mileage, peppy acceleration with very good brake feel and handling (for the price). Reliability was above average compared to other cars I have owned. Shifter feel was well above average. This car was actually fun to drive with the 5-speed.

Can't believe that tilt steering wheel and cruise control were not standard equipment in 2004 - jeez. Could never get the seat/steering wheel position just right, so this car was painful to drive on long trips. Would suggest getting a Focus that has the tilt and telescoping steering column - will be much easier to find a comfortable seating position. Improved corrosion resistance on the underbody would be helpful - seeing an engine oil pan completely covered in rust at 66k miles is scary.