Still Not Up To Par Vs. Japanese
By Freeagent35 on
2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)
This is a fleet vehicle supplied by my company. I drive it regularly, a mix of highway and city miles. Though a definite improvement from the Taurus, still not up to the level of quality of the better Japanese cars. Examples: (1) Hood has to be slammed to close. Don't have to do this if build quality and clearance is correct, but I have to slam the hood hard or it won't latch. Unacceptable. (2) Grinding and creaking noises in steering/suspension. This began shortly after purchase, in cold temps. Now happens regularly. I'm sick of buying imports but will have to until Detroit makes quality their number one goal. I likely would not buy one; if so, only if it was really cheap.
Favorite Features
Variable transmission seems to improve mileage. Power curve is a little unusual, but seems to accelerate well. Car handles very well in the snow with Continental all season radials.
Suggested Improvements
Rear seats should fold down. Improve fit and finish. MP3 input on stereo. Suspension and undercarriage does not appear to be well built and seems to be falling apart after 25k miles.