2014 Ford Explorer Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
Love my new ford explorer!
By momforddriver

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Why did I wait so long to trade in my 2003 Ford explorer for the new 2014 ford explorer limited! I test drove the limited, awd & 4 cyl. ecoboost; plus th xlt & sport. Of all of them, the limited offers the most comfort & advanced options I was looking for. This truck rides so much more car like than my last explorer. Additionally, I like the pickup from the regular 3.5L 6 cylinder engine on the limited vs. the ecoboost 2.0L 4 cylinder. I think a 4 cyl. is good for a car, but not an suv. I recently took a carload of teenagers in my limited and it handled beautifully with the "extra weight" in the car. I don't think the 4 cyl. could have handled that.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are the Myford touch sync, works beautifully, I've tried everything from gps to making calls, to receiving texts, to changing temperatures and have had no problem so far. I love the comfortable seats (I have a bad back so this was an important feature for me). Also love the cooled seats; heated seats in the front & middle rows; and the coolest feature is the push button to powerfold the middle row seats to give tons of room to access the 3rd row seats. Additionally, love the power 3rd row seat & liftgate. I may keep this car forever! I also love the reclining 2nd row seats and the ability to move both 2nd row seats fore and aft (I have the bucket seats).

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of is the lack of leg room for the driver for your left leg - for some reason Ford put a foot rest and while it doesn't bother me (I don't usually extend my left leg while driving) some people may not like this. Also, only the 2nd row bucket seats allow you to move them fore and aft. If you get the bench seat you can only move the right seat fore and aft - this makes no sense and I purposely didn't get the bench seat because of that. Having those extra inches to move the 2nd row back when you have a tall driver, is important.

Good car worst service by almost all Ford Dealers
By raed1

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Ford Explorer 2013 with about 10,000 miles on it from a car dealer in MA. Besides the manufacturer warranty, that car was a Ford Certified vehicle, which an additional 12,000 miles and 12 months warranty. All was worth less from the first problem with the car. The car started leaking water through the seat belts of the back seat, and here was the moment of truth. Dealers were reluctant to accept the car for service, and when I tried to lure them by including oil change and break service, they gave me two appointments, now for oil change and break job but weeks for the water leak. This experience involved about four dealers one of them is about an hour and a half from my home.

Favorite Features

Backup camera, auto gate lift

Suggested Improvements

They have to improvement their service through their dealers significantly. I know that they sell some of their cars cheap and they have to make a profit through bad after sale service, but some of their cars cost close to Mercedes and BMW and this require having a comparable service.

Have owned a 2004 and now the 2014 Limited
By 1963f100

2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Really wanted a SUV with at least a reasonable third row seat. With about 12,000 miles on it I'm pretty happy. I do miss my old V8 as I just don't feel the acceleration of the eco-boost is as strong. I did buy all but one of the available additional feature packages. Really like that the second row has heated seats. Ironically I think a better salesman could've talked me in to the final upgrade as it would be nice to have the navigation (vs ford sync which uses your phone) and high-def headlights. My only real criticism is the blind spots, even the hood height makes it a little hard to park. I do like the Blind-Spot systems (mirror blinks).

Favorite Features

Blind-Spot System and heated second row seats. Touch screen, interior cabin design. Rearview camera. I like that driving directions, etc. display conveniently to the right of the speedometer.

Suggested Improvements

Front Camera, better lumbar support. Not in love with ford sync - navigation should be standard on the limited.