Used 1999 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

zippy toy with lots of room
By Kayak Hike Ski

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I've put on two kayaks and stuffed the back full of camping gear. At 88,000 miles, it's always started when I turned the key.

When I step on the gas, it gooooeeess! I love the interior design on this earlier model. Easy to keep clean vs. later models with more spots to catch dust.

The drive belt is still noisy when cold - even after a recall replacement part.

Awesome SUV
By Krshaker15

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I used to own a Saturn and I must say, buying my 1999 explorer was the best move I've made. Not only is 4x4 and quicker then my saturn, but I feel safer in it and it drives great.

1999 Ford Explorer 2 Dr. Sport
By LUVMYSPT

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

First of all this SUV is loaded with virtually everything you can put on one. I love this vehicle. I have large, but not illegal, Michelin tires on it. I can see all that is occurring a long distance ahead of me. I am 6' 3" tal and weight 230 Lbs. and I am comfortable in the vehicle, except I cant wear a hat. This is one of the nicest and safest vehicles I have ever owned. I have only 45,000 mile on it, and there is hardly a mark on it anywhere inside or out.

Ease of shifting to 4WD, and audio system with CD changer and heighth of the vehicle.

None

My bad investment
By joe blow

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I was getting out of a 98 Mustang when I got this suv. It hasn't failed me except for once. I don't have too many complaints except for the driver's seat has broken, the rear windshield wiper doesn't work, and the middle console broke easily. It gets crappy gas mileage of about 14 city and 20 hgwy. I like my Explorer, but I don't love it.

Junk
By MJRaw

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

After buying the Explorer with 18k miles, we have had nothing but problems. 3 sets of front hubs, 4 fuel pumps, vapor locked twice, 2 sets of brakes, starter, the list goes on. I will not bore you with all the details. The worst thing about it, the resale price drops so fast that I can't even get rid of it for a decent price (what I owe)! I will never own another Ford product!!!!

Interior seating comfort

Reliability, gas mileage, etc. Basically, just start over.