1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great Truck!! Review By Picky Car Buff
By Gary Marchlewicz on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

No problems after 54K miles. Very solid construction. My Chevy's never go this long without needing repairs. I have the smaller V6. Pleanty of power, but not a racer. The ride is rough, but It's a truck! The under carriage is looking a little rusty. The paint still looks great. I am 6' 4" tall. This truck is a little too cramped for me. My wife and I vacation in it every year anyway. I want to move up to an expedition, but I don't want to give up my perfectly reliable little truck. I had the Firestone's replaced with Pirelli Scorpions. Awesome tires! It's only 2 wheel drive. I load up 240 Lbs of sand tubes in the winter . Cuts right through the snow!!

Poor Customer Service
By free1 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Overall, a decent auto, however, the V8 seems to have a problem with broken ignition wires (as early as 30K-40K miles). Ford is not willing to acknowledge this problem, but has plenty of replacement wires in stock! Also problems with noisy front springs and the brake pedal. Poor quality of rear wiper, electric windows, luggage racks. Comfortable seats, decent interior layout, good comfort features (lighted mirrors, remote door locks, etc.).

Happy with my ford
By tmoney on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

very reliable and i am a happy customer.

great
By jennifer lynn on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

all i need to say is great!!!! no problems!!!

Nice vehicle, fun to drive
By tboss on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

This is a good vehicle, I've had a lot of fun driving it and will stick with Fords probably. The design is nice, I wish I would have optioned it out!

'99 Explorer Sport
By Eren on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this car in summer of '99 with 11k miles on it and now 3yrs later and now at 60k miles, it still runs great! It was my first car at age 15 and I think this vehicle makes a GREAT beginners car. The Winsheild wipers and Firestone recalls were a bit of a problem but the people at Ford replaced the wipers hassle-free and Firestone bought me $400 Goodyears. This SUV is really good when towing(Jet Ski) and I didn't have to buy a towing package (Just a ball). Overall an EXCELLENT car!

Don't Buy This !
By PeterK on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a lightly used 1999 Explorer Sport in January, 2000. Last month, during the 60,000 service, I was told that I needed $1,000 worth of repairs just to pass state inspection. This is my 2nd (and LAST) Ford Product. The car is poorly designed, difficult to drive, and now ... unreliable. Consider the Explorer a "high maintenance" automobile and avoid it at all costs!!! I do not drive this vehicle off road and have always changed the oil, rotated the tires and performed all of the scheduled maintenance. I'm headed back to the Hondas .. at least I know I'll get 100,000 miles out of them with little to no repairs.

gagicar
By BillSchmitz on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We have had no problems and the vehicle has been well maintained. After three years, there is minimal to almost no exterior problems. Total mileage is 33,000.

Westmont review
By Robert Westmont on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Other than the squeeks and rattles with the interior plastic panels, the truck is awesome. The AWD is remarkable in the snow and ice (We live in boston). The ride is somewhat harsh as we changed out the "26lb" Firestone tires immediately after buying the vehicle and replaced them with Goodyear Wilderness - obviously a good call. Anyway, the truck looks and runs great - recommend to anyone.

Solid
By davequeen on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been able to use this SUV in a variety of conditions including ice, deep snow, mud and rocks. True, its a different vehicle than the 2002's, but I have a great time off road and in adverse weather. I dont have many miles on it, but I work it pretty hard. Several times I have jumped out of the car to see what damage I have done and I find that there is not a scratch. Plus it starts and runs better than my '02 Mountaineer.