1998 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Eh...
By NeedTeddy on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

I have about 39,000 miles on my Ford Explorer. Got it for around $22k brand new. I don't drive it often for the gas mileage reasons but when I first got it I was ecstatic. However, I wish I have the new 2002 version now. I haven't hit the mileage that most of the people are experiencing problems but I know it's inevitable. Supposely the "better" Explorers become Mercury Mountaineers while the crummy ones remain Ford Explorers.

burning bag on your doorstep
By William Clay Ford on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Chronologically, we have had to repair/replace: -tranny (1 week after purchase) -transmission valve body -Throttle body -New keyless entry keypad -Air sensor (once it fails you are rewarded with an exhilirating 30 minute period during which the truck will not start) -Fuel Pump -Throttle body -New tires (the original firestones had a nasty tendency to kill you) -Ball Joints (No grease points. if they ever need grease, they need to be replaced. Top notch!) Currently, I am eagerly anticipating having to replace another throttle body, as the car stalls every so often now, and well, it has been 10,000 miles since I replaced it. I guess it's time.

98 XLT
By Bgriffin on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Very good Power from the DHC V6, good handleing, good highway gas mileage, can use some work on the city mileage. Great room inside, a lot better than the competing GM products. Had some bad brake work done, but another place did them right.

NO CONFIDENCE
By BIGREDSPENDER on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Ever since the rollover controversy during which I watched Jack Nasser appear before Congress on CSPAN, I have had a dreaded fear of rolling over while driving my Ford Explorer. Other than that, it has been reliable. One time it died at the mall. The radio has been replaced. So has the torque converter and the vapor management valve. The front seats are confortable, but the rear seat is crowded for my wife (5'3").

'98 Ford Explorer
By BBQBuff on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

In a nutshell, I have been very pleased with this SUV. More spacious than Jeep's Grand Cherokee. However, it does ride rather rough. Let me just say that is is not my wife's Mercedes. Cargo room is good, and so far no quirks or bad experiences.

I'll stay with General Motors!
By Bu_BU on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

After buying Vehicle @ 40,000 Miles, Dealer Was terrible. I gave them the Check and was told that there was only 1 Key and they wanted $65.00 for key and programing. Engine makes a noise I never heard before it sounds like the engine is rattling after you restart engine when it is warmed up. Noise Goes away as quick as it comes. V=6 SOHV is under powered for towing and 5 speed trans. is ok when it shifts. The Best Part of a ford is the transmission as they Shifts smooth unlike the G.M's. Lack of Torgue. It does have a Good turning radius. Feels like the Rear wheels stop before the body,Need I say any More???

Surprising Power
By Jah Nesta on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Excellent Power out of the V6. Simple mods add a lot too. Pretty poor gas mileage but overall a great car.

xlt 98
By nick lupu on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

1. 44,000 miles: replaced both drive shafts. 2. 50,000 miles: replaced transfer-case. 3. 60,000 miles: repaced upper left arm an d all schock-absorbers. 4.Clonking and radlle noise in the front end still there. 5. 40,000 miles: defective manifold and lifters. 6. 60,000 miles: defective ball-joints front left.

One of the Greatest trucks
By Daveh on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the greatest trucks I've owned or driven. All of my friends also agree with me. It drives great, and the interior is second to none. It's no BMW, but it is one of the best built American cars today. Once again, Ford out does GM.

they roll way to quick
By jordan tuchmann on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

driving my explorer down the road at 45 MPH we started spinning as soon as we hit the grass we fliped. My seat Belt did NOT lock up. It was great un till the end. we now have a lexus rx300 that is a lot less expensive from problems in the explorer. 35000 for the explorer 12000 in the shop toatal 42000. 37000 rx300 2500 in the shop