1997 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ford Explorer XLT V8 AWD
By matchgrade on 07/29/13 00:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my explorer for $1000 for my first car in august of 2012 with 154,000 on it. Let me tell you this is a badass truck with a lot of power. I drove it pretty hard, commuting back and forth to school every day for a semester doin about 70 miles a day offroading some weekends and going up to the mountains in west virginia, and using it as a utility vehicle this spring for my landscaping business. Not the most reliable but it was 15 years old, replaced camshaft position sensor, cat flange gasket, alternator, radiator blew and overheated engine and made #4 cylinder thereafter but hell engines made today would be toast after overheating. Recommend getting owner records before buying

Built Ford Tough
By alessing on 06/22/13 17:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Explorer is a 1997 Automatic 4x4 coming up on 180k miles, and it has honestly never failed me. I know that every time I turn the key it will start, and any time I need it to perform it does. Just 2 days ago an older couple got their Kia stuck in a steep ditch and dug their tires in the wet mud, I towed them out just fine. I tow my 3 ton boat without issues, and the high torque V6 never fails me next to a ricer at a red light. The 4x4 is great out on the beach, and even the backwoods trails. I agree with the other reviews, the gas mileage is just horrible, but other than that, I can't complain. I've had no mechanical issues, the ride is decent, and for the money, this truck is priceless.

Rock Hard
By explorersaurus on 12/07/12 13:54 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My dad bought me a 1997 Ford explorer about 6 months ago. Pretty much my only gripe with it is the poor fuel economy. Other than that, it's fantastic. I have an XLT with the V8 and AWD. I am yet to have used the AWD in the snow, but the V8 has supple power and (for a truck) smooth power delivery. The driver and passenger seat is comfy. Overall, a great purchase.

Go FORD!
By rpsims82 on 02/26/12 09:02 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I've got 180k miles on my explorer and the 4.0L keeps on going! No ticks, knocks, EVERYTHING works including all power windows, locks, cruise, etc. Auto 4x4 kicks in when it needs to, 4 low and high both work outstanding. Might need a new clutch soon, but that's expected. I never liked the explorers much, but I bought this one as a back up vehicle and now it's my daily driver. Despite all of the other negative comments on gas mileage, I get from 18-20 on every fill-up. I think that's good for a big V6. Very happy with my Explorer! The 5 speed manual tranny makes it even more enjoyable! My complimants to Ford on this one.

97 Ford Explorer EB AWD
By alg115 on 09/03/11 20:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Truck is a beast. Yea it does suck gas but if you drive like a normal person, you'll be fine. Pushing 265000k; truck is still on the road. No leaks little rust, but very reliable. SAfe for the kids and easy to drive. This is one of my favorite style of trucks; has alot of room inside while disguising it on the outside. doing little cosmetics to eventually sell, already have 3 buyers...lol...at 265K..Love this Truck. AG

Worth every penny
By Drives American on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have 304,000 miles on my Explorer. Replaced the transmission at 290,000. Replaces heads (cracked) a year ago. Dealer told me that there was no "gunk" in the heads which meant the motor runs clean. This car has raised two children and has been phenomenal! Plan on trading it in on the Ford Edge in a few days. Hard to see it go but I'm ready to get better gas mileage.

Love this SUV
By veryhappy on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer 2 years used and have had it for 11 years. It has been extremely reliable with only the expected maintenance issues of a vehicle over time. If I had a child of driving age I would definitely consider this vehicle as a great option!

King suv
By ra on 08/12/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought it with 60,000 mi. Drove like new! Luv American cars never had one less than 100,000 on it with very little trouble. Now has over 200,000 and still going strong, looks great, runs great, everything still works. Understand why no. 1 seller.

A Classic
By GORDON CORCORAN on 06/03/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this 1997 limited Explorer from a private party ONE OWNER with 97,000 miles. with no body damage at all, Excellent interior. With many extras. Like a pone in the center console. Heated seats. Mirrors. Computer display. 10 CD player. Cassette, New Tires. No oil leas, and the V8 5.0 engine. Navigational system. I got it for $3.500. and much more, When I got stationed here at FT Sam Houston, San Antonio TX. So far So Good. $3.800. I am very pleased.

Strong Like Bull
By blackhaus50 on 06/02/10 20:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got this truck used of craigslist back in 07 for $1800. it had 160k. ran great till the day i sold it with 235k on it(may 2010), never had to dump much money into it ( oil changes, new tires and some other reg maint.) much better than my 99 blazer i had. BTW i sold if for 900 to a buddy of mine, no leaks & never burned any fluids.I drove this thing 60 miles a day to boot