Used 1998 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort Sedan

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Loretta
By tbone0822

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for a couple of years, we decided she deserved a name, Loretta. We bought her when she was already 12 years old but she only had 63,000 miles on her. Now she's got almost 150,000 and still going strong. The fuel pump has been replaced and a couple of other things, but she's never left me stranded. All of those were things that I needed to do, but she gave me the time to save the money and never quit on me. We love this car. She is now being passed down to my daughter who loves her just as much as I do.

Favorite Features

She gets good mileage and never quits. Just goes and goes.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a little more get up and go and the ac doesn't work, but she's older than dirt.

Got me around
By usn_ht

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation. Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body. Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

Favorite Features

Shifts well. Good gas mileage. Great for basic transport.

Suggested Improvements

more sound dampening. If body was in good shape I would Dynamat the whole interior and maybe a Corbeau driver seat. Stock seats are less than adequate for my 6'2" frame and a 38 mile commute.

THIS CAR JUST KEEPS GOING!
By gradstudent99

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2005, have had it almost 6 years and have put close to 50,000 miles on it. This car has been through snow storms, and near floods. Has never left me stranded or broken down on me. Has never had a day where it didn't start. This has been the most low maintenance car I've ever had. Over the past 6 years I can't say that I've spend more than $1,200 on my car. Which is like an average of $300 a year including oil changes and tire replacements etc. Love this car, and at 140,000 its tickin' like it just left the dealer's lot.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission has a good strength and feel for a car that only has 130 hp, it gets up there and has gone toe to toe with civics, eclipses and defeated them.

Great Car
By Sandy Loam

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We had issues the very next day after driving it off the lot. The engine would die while driving. We took it back twice and when I demanded a free loaner while they fixed the problem, they replaced a sensor. At 30,000 miles, the transmission went and it took the Ford dealership in Sierra Vista, AZ 6 transmissions and 3 weeks to get the right one, they finally put in a Mazda transmission. AC went out, 2 dealerships could not find out why, it was never fixed.CD changer stopped working. After that, we had very little problems and we had to get rid of it after I hit a bear and totaled it out. It had well over 230,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Overall, great car & fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The ride and sportiness for being a 4 door sedan. MPG was great.

Suggested Improvements

Pick a transmission, and stick with it. The CD changer is garbage.

Great little car
By Dan

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Brought car with 96,000 mi and have 128,000 now. Only part replaced was a inner tie rod and with labor less then $100 No rust on the car after 2 northeast winters. AC still blowing cold and never serviced.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. I have a 5 speed standard and get an average 30 mpg city and 42 highway (going 70 MPH with AC on). Easy to reach cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. Easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

2.0 L engine ok for flat land and gradual hills, but slow to accelerate onto highway. Needs inside trunk release.