1998 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Loretta
By tbone0822 on 10/04/13 02:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for a couple of years, we decided she deserved a name, Loretta. We bought her when she was already 12 years old but she only had 63,000 miles on her. Now she's got almost 150,000 and still going strong. The fuel pump has been replaced and a couple of other things, but she's never left me stranded. All of those were things that I needed to do, but she gave me the time to save the money and never quit on me. We love this car. She is now being passed down to my daughter who loves her just as much as I do.

Got me around
By usn_ht on 03/02/12 13:34 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation. Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body. Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

THIS CAR JUST KEEPS GOING!
By gradstudent99 on 01/28/11 19:55 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2005, have had it almost 6 years and have put close to 50,000 miles on it. This car has been through snow storms, and near floods. Has never left me stranded or broken down on me. Has never had a day where it didn't start. This has been the most low maintenance car I've ever had. Over the past 6 years I can't say that I've spend more than $1,200 on my car. Which is like an average of $300 a year including oil changes and tire replacements etc. Love this car, and at 140,000 its tickin' like it just left the dealer's lot.

Great Car
By Sandy Loam on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We had issues the very next day after driving it off the lot. The engine would die while driving. We took it back twice and when I demanded a free loaner while they fixed the problem, they replaced a sensor. At 30,000 miles, the transmission went and it took the Ford dealership in Sierra Vista, AZ 6 transmissions and 3 weeks to get the right one, they finally put in a Mazda transmission. AC went out, 2 dealerships could not find out why, it was never fixed.CD changer stopped working. After that, we had very little problems and we had to get rid of it after I hit a bear and totaled it out. It had well over 230,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Overall, great car & fun to drive.

Great little car
By Dan on 06/11/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Brought car with 96,000 mi and have 128,000 now. Only part replaced was a inner tie rod and with labor less then $100 No rust on the car after 2 northeast winters. AC still blowing cold and never serviced.

Horrible Car
By Will on 02/25/10 14:22 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car is the most "Gutless" piece of machinery I have ever encountered. My dog can accelerate faster than this car. We have been stricken with repair after repair. Now the entire exhaust system is shot and needs replacement.

This pony won't quit
By Dennis on 05/26/09 19:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles after the first owner's 206,000 miles. The engine still runs perfectly with surprising mileage --30-32 mpg in my daily 45 mile commute through and around Detroit and up to 40 mpg in slower highway driving. The body has not a squeak or rattle. Snow traction is great. I've driven through a foot of snow without any problem other than ice getting jammed in the suspension. The AC failed last year; estimates were for more than I paid for the car so I am living with that. I replaced rear struts at about 230,000 miles. Looking ahead, I see only months left on the clutch and 3rd gear is down to a nub so I have to decide soon whether to see if I can get another 200k.

1998 Ford Escort
By 1998 Ford Escort on 03/28/09 01:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Very Reliable vehicle. Great gas mileage 40 HWY miles. This vehicle was subjected to a MN winter- 30 days in a row of zero degrees. The car started EVERY morning without a problem. Vehicle is just now starting to show a little rust. Dependable, great gas mileage. feels solid when driving during a MN winter...

Cheap, affordable, and great
By Nambow on 12/31/08 20:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car after it had been sitting for 1-2 yrs. I had to replace the tires and tie rods. It drives good, and is a manual. I average anywhere from 31-35mpg. My car has 119k and shows no sign of giving up.

My First Car
By Dre on 09/07/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I just resently got a 98 Ford Escort LX as my first car. When I first saw it I wasn't very happy with it. It just didn't look quite right. Now that I have it I really like it. My Escort only has 74,950 miles on it! Not bad for a 98.

1 2 3 4 5 next »