Used 1993 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

I'm now a Ford man!
By Bradley

1993 Ford Escort Sedan LX-E 4dr Sedan

I bought my 93 sedan with 65k on the clock and now have 76k+. I get 40 mpg around town and 48 on the hwy. It is a manual! I'm 6'1" and find the car adequately comfortable for 500+ mile trips to VA from NY state. Plan a trip to see friends in San Antonio TX this winter. The car feels brand new, smells new and the body is sharp. That is great considering all the salt on NY state roads in winter. It handles great in snow with care. Cold or hot weather no problem. Never owned a ford but love this car. My 70 year old mother loves it too. The fold down seats are handy. The insurance rates are great on it. Not flashy but I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I just need to think of a name for her. RUBY?

I love the reliability and great fuel mileage. Dealers rave about 30mpg on newer cars. Can't beat my Escort's 40-48mpg. Sound system is very nice. I love the trunk size and fold down seats. The roll down windows please me...less to go wrong. Handles well and acceleration is fun. Driver seat is comfy.

Wish you still made them. Sometimes placing into reverse gear is stiff. I believe there is no synchromesh. That would benefit the driver greatly. The AC sometimes drains the get up and go. Glove box latch doesn't always catch. Odd size mug holders, though with a manual transmission drinking coffee can be hard!

Great Little Car
By great car

1993 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car I have ever owned. Phenomenal reliability and durability, especially for an American made car in the early 90's. Other than brakes and exhaust, this baby has everything else original, and I can't ever remember a time it has refused to start, drive, or generally perform like I wanted it to. Too bad they don't make the Escort any more, as the Focus appears constantly plagued by a slew of problems, both cosmetic and mechanical. If you can find a used Escort anywhere between '92-'99, grab it & hold on to it; you won't regret it.

No question about it, besides the rock solid reliability, the GAS MILEAGE pays dividends these days - I get about 35-40 mpg on a regular basis, mixed highway and city driving.

Can't really think of any - everything you need, nothing you don't. Not much to look at, but who cares, really, as long as you got wheels that keep on rolling.

172k and still kicking
By munchie

1993 Ford Escort Sedan LX-E 4dr Sedan

I bought my car 5 years ago with 77k. Repair work has been very reasonable. It wasn't until the car hit around 150k that the engine needed some work. And within the last year I just had to replace the brake pads and the altenator. But when your car has 170+k you can't complain. This car is the best car anyone in my family has had.

Great on gas, easy to manuver

I love my Escort
By kifisia

1993 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since it was one year old. It has been a great car and it would have been even better had I not taken it to som horrible mechanics. It is getting old now but it is so economical that I just refuse to let go. The dogs love it too. It is perfect for them.

The little container in between the front two seats has served as a water bowl for the past 5 years for my two dogs. A feature I have yet to find in all the new cars I have tested. Weird need but...for us it has worked out great!

None. I only wish I had a good reliable mechanic. It's been a great car.

Incredible Reliability
By jgh2020

1993 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my LX sedan used with 16,000 miles on it, and have since put on 130,000 more miles. I have replaced the clutch at 130,000, put in a used rebuilt A/C at 110,000, otherwise routine maintenance, tires, etc. I can cruise on the highway very easily at 85mph and this car is as solid as a rock, no shakes or rattles. I don't worry about door dings, grocery carts because it is an Escort...bring it on! It still has tremendous pep in the acceleration with the manual tranny. For the money spent, this has been an amazing car and I will have a hard time giving it up.

Reliability, fuel economy.

Cup holder not well designed...big deal.