Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

6 years and going strong
By Texas Chemist

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Escape used in Sep 2010 to replace my 98 Grand Prix. These are the only two vehicles I've ever owned and I've been driving 15 years. The Escape is a challenge to rate for two main reasons: It is extremely reliable, has almost no mechanical issues, is smooth and fluid on the road and provides almost everything I need as far as cargo and transportation goes. On the other hand, it is uncomfortable to sit in. I mean, the seats are not good. In 6 years I've yet to get the seat/steering position perfect. My legs get cramped up or my back starts to hurt a little after only 20 minutes of driving. But this thing is so smooth and nice on the road, the road noise is low (compared to my wife's Civic which is ridiculously loud), and the steering is so soft and fluid you can control the the vehicle with a single finger. Other than some pretty stupid interior design (center stack mainly) and cheap materials, as well as an occasionally jerky transmission the vehicle is near perfect.

Pros:
- Extremely reliable
- Drives very well
- Easy to control
- Excellent in snow/ice/rain
- Great exterior styling

Cons:
- Jerky transmission when starting from a stop
- Horrible interior stying/center stack design
- Cheap plastic materials inside
- Very uncomfortable seats
- Lack of telescoping steering

No more Ford products
By cmrakers

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I've been a Ford supporter for 40+ years, all the while enduring the Chevy, Toyota, Honda owners snide comments. As of todayI'll never buy another Ford.

First, the 1998 F150 XLT airconditioning and electrical system began failing at 40k miles (I didn't keep track of how much those repairs cost) so at 80k I finally traded that in for the 2009 Escape. The first Escape under warrenty transmission was installed in 2012, and now at 77k miles I'm faced with another failed transmission. Included in the decision NOT TO BUY FORD is the fact that this Escape cost me about $900 in repairs every freaking year since hitting the 36k warranty mark (sometime in 2013), and I'm good to my vehicles--regular maintenance, don't drive like a maniac. The new tires will outlast the engine/transmission and that's freaking sad and not cost effective. I'm switching to Honda or Toyota.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy it.
By Curt

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

If there was a lower rating for transmissions I would have given it. This car seems to have a ton of recalls, which the techs like to tell me that Ford is looking out for its customers. I like to view it as, a lot of poor design choices from a company who has been making cars to long. I get being new and innovative, but how about making a car that doesn't have the worst transmission in the world?!? Did they even test the damn thing before they threw it into cars? I realize that all cars have their issues, but this car seems to be the worst I have ever dealt with (don't believe me? just google it).

Excellent
By pete162

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had since new, very reliable , cheap to maintain, fuel sipper with plenty of power with the I4 2.5 liter engine. Always hand washed and waxed,it looks almost as good as the day we drove it off the lot.

Sync, Sirius, Polished Chrome 17" wheels

Awesome little SUV
By tugboat95

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love this truck! I bought this with 33k miles to replace a Durango I could no longer afford to feed. It was an adjustment to go that small. I chose the Escape because it had the most interior room of the small SUV's. I'm 6'5 and I sit comfortably in it for an 8 hour drive twice a month. I have the XLT V-6. I get 28mpg round trip on that drive and I see 33 in certain spots where I behave with the throttle. It now has 75k miles on it and the only thing I have touched is the oil and transmission fluid and a new set of tires. Most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. And it pulls a 3050lbs RV and gets 12mpg doing it. I've been offroading in WV with it and even just 2wd, it holds its own.

Love the SYNC system. Easy to drive and park. handles well on the highway. Really good on gas and when you punch it the throttle responds very well. First gear has some power to get going and take off. 4-6 gears have good response on the highway. Adaptive transmission takes about 30 miles to learn it has an RV behind it and makes required adjustments and changes shift points. Very surprised at how easily it tows my 3000lbs camper. But 3500lbs is the max and the engine is working really hard but she handles it like a champ.

Overall the ride is pretty good, but when its loaded with cargo or a trailer the ride gets a little bouncy. Not sure how this can be improved on such a short wheelbase. Its not bad, but like all 6'5" guys a little more legroom is always nice. I fit,but just barely.