1996 Ford Contour 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Don't Buy This Car!

1996 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Review

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Don't Buy This Car!
By hiker78 on

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I'm at 128,000k and it's sitting at a repair shop right now waiting for the auto salvage guys to pick it up...tranny finally blew and I'm done dealing with this hunk of junk, multiple and frequent problems beginning 3 months from purchase date; alternator, blower motor, brakes, sway bar links, outside window trims, temp gauge that burns out every 6k miles, serpentine belt, wheel bearings, broken cup holders, gas cap cover had to be pried open every time, various inside lights constantly burned out, paint peeling off front end, heat slow to warm up, weak A/C and the fuel pump wiring was at the point where I had to lean back and hold the plug down while turning the key to get the thing to start.

Favorite Features

I liked the handling, smooth and responsive when it was working, good gas mileage (mostly in town). Took it on a cross country road trip and the seats were comfortable and the interior and trunk were roomy enough to accommodate baggage along with camping gear (tent, bags, food etc.).

Suggested Improvements

I don't think this thing can be salvaged. These cars are lemons as a general rule and count your lucky stars if you got a good one...you're the exception to the rule. This experience has taught me the importance of doing your homework before buying a car!