1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Green Lightining
By pgarcia on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Love the car! The car handles well when taking it on trips. In fact, we dubbed the name green lightning because it bolts right by the others.

Intrepid ES is Very Reliable
By Matt42 on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Great handling. Easy to control just like a smaller car. 40000+ miles no minor or major problems whatsoever. No parts has ever been replaced yet, including brakes. Amazingly roomy, once carried 12ft long pipe with rear seat folded down. Comfortable, fun to drive. Pulls good but transmission is too slow for manual shift down. The total maintenance cost in 3.5 years/40000 miles excluding oil & gas is no more than a few hundred bucks. Overall this is a *very* reliable car.

Awesome for my family
By pufti on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the car before i got married. Had some questions about the reliability of Chrysler in general. However, this car has beaten all my expectations. It has never failed on me and performs the same now like new .. Its now 3 1/2 years old... Chrysler replaced the computer once (boot wouldnt open).

Loved it at first...Now a headache
By cteague on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I loved this car when I first got it. It looked great and drove great. The problem came when the engine blew. After doing much research, I have found that there have been many problems with this model and the 2000. Engines blow prematurely and it costs anywhere between $3000 and $5000 to replace. I was told by the mechanic to fix the car and then sell it. That would be great, but the resale value has sharply declined in the last year due to so many problems with the engines. I strongly suggest...DON'T BUY THIS MODEL!

Money Pit
By Upside-Down on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

2.7L engine has a knock and needs to be replaced. Mechanic thinks it's a bad rod/wristpin. Air conditioning won't hold freon and after $1200 in parts and labor I give up. Brakes required every 30,000 miles, power windows constantly need repair. Resale on this POS is so bad that I owe 2X what it's worth. I wish i'd spent the extra couple of grand on a Honda.

You Have To Be Kidding
By GregnSand on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought the car new. Within the first year we had to have the transmission rebuilt, then the ac/heater went out. The next year we had to have the transmission rebuilt, then the window came off track. Next year we had to have the starter rebuilt and the starter switch replaced. Then the ac went out again and the other window came off track. Finally we had to bury the car as it died. The oil pump went out without the sendor working and this caused the engine to seiz. We will never buy a Dodge product again!!!!

NOT RECOMMENDED
By slonna on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was my first car,i bought with 29000 miles on it demo.And i owned for 3 years now,Quality is worse,Brakes,rotors every 30000 K,New pinion rack,Windows don't work AGAIN.And at85000K need new Engine for about $6000+labor/dealer/.It seems this engine V6 2.7 to have some higins problem with oil circulation.

Still have it and I still love it!
By Gutsy on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 1999 Intrepid NEW at the dealer. I still own this car and I still love everything about it. I only had one problem which was taken care of... 1 electronic fuel injector went bad... that's it. Light in dash went on... took to the dealer, they fixed it. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Chysler needs to work on this one.
By fjb on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but trouble with this car. As soon as the warranty expired, I was continually replacing sensors. Even worse, at 39000 miles we had to replace the transmission!

Get an Accord instead, you'll be happier
By Jarnail on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this in June 99, it was their demo, a few minor problems at the beginning then the noises coming from the rear, in the end dealer told me he would sue me if I wouldn't leave them alone. I learn't a very expensive lesson take my advice buy a Accord or Camery for a few thousand more you'll be happier in the long run. I will admit that Chrysler makes nice looking cars but they lack the engineering to real make this a quality car. Before this car I always bought domestic because I believed that the domestic cars were just as good as japanese and german cars, I know better know.