2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Review: Wish I never bought this car

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Review

Wish I never bought this car
By Jen on

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've spent over $8,000 in engine repairs & maintenance the 5+ years that I've owned this car. Unfortunately, I've had endless mechanical problems and the car has litterally spent weeks in the shop over the 5+ years, meaning that I had to pay for a rental car out of pocket, while van was being repaired. I wish I never bought this car. I wish I would have gone for the Honda Odessey or the Toyota Sierra instead for a van. It frustrating dealing with the local Dodge Dealer for repairs, as they don't seem to value the customer's time enough. On the positive side, the interior of the Caravan is nice enough and comfortable for my family of 4--but my mechanical problems outweighed this.

Dual sliding rear passenger doors are a must with little kids (with hindsight wish I had paid extra to get the automatic/remote door & hatch opening & closing feature.) Front & rear air conditioning controls. I like the Distance to Empty feature on the gas gauge. Lots of adjustable cupholde

Don't put the exhaust pipe right below the bumper, as it always makes black exhaust dust all over the exterior of the back of the van. Rear seats that fold into the floor would be a definite improvement. Car is very noisy due to engine noise & road noise. Make it all quieter.