Used 2002 Dodge Durango Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Buy the warranty
By golden girl

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If you get the option when you purchase this vehicle buy the WARRANTY! I love the looks and comfort of this car BUT it's crazy how unreliable it is! We purchased this vehicle with 112,000 miles on it we have had it for 14 months and the check engine light has come one 6 times and counting for major repairs. The engine blew at 126,000 miles warranty covered it no problem, another 2k miles a cam positioning sensor when out (driving down the freeway 70 miles per hr vehicle shut itself off everything went dead!) another 2k miles after that it needed another cam shaft positioning sensor (engine light came on, stopped to get gas would not start again). Now just got it back from the dealership 3 days ago the check engine light is on again already. I'm ready for a new vehicle but so disappointed because I love this car.

I LOVE it!
By pennylou99

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The gas mileage is horrible.
But other than that.
I love this truck.
I have never had any major issues with it.
Normal repairs.
If you keep the maintenance up on this, your Dodge will run for a long time!
I'm right at 140k miles and the engine is solid.
I drive kinda crazy and needed something that could handle my lead foot.
I'm like to be quick on take offs, so this truck has been perfect for me!

Power!!! Lots of cargo space. Lots! Love it!

If only it could get good gas mileage... I'd own a Durango for the rest of my life!!

Great Ride, Mechanical Nightmare
By samwill89

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a used 2002 Durango Sport at 95k miles. Was immaculate inside and out. The good: Fit my large 6'5 frame comfortably. Fit my 6'6 twin sons well too. Nice controls and easy ride on all terrains. The bad: Constant overheating. Replaced fan clutch and thermostat within a month of owning it. Still would overheat. After 10k miles of use, blown head gasket. I will NEVER buy another Dodge vehicle again. Sad, because I really liked the SUV. Not worth the mechanical problems that are SURE to happen.

Look, style, handling

Engine improvement

Still going
By maro71

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango even though it only 2WD. I have been the one and only owner. I used to live in Hawaii and really didn't see a need for 4wd until I moved to PA. Anyway My wife and I get a good tuneup on the regular. We've had a few bumps on the road but they have been few and far in between. Most of our issues has been the mechanics didn't know what the heck they were doing. In Hawaii for example our mechanic told us that spark plugs only need changing every 2 years or something. Month later the truck stalled. Come to find out the spark plugs had burned out along with the wires. Overall I've really love it. It's not too big or too small. Just right.

I love the V8 engine though.

We got the 2wd sport with no frills but it was alright with me. I wish the back window would roll down so my dog could just chill out.

3rd SUV I've Owned, and the BEST
By K-D

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the SXT in 2005 and am still driving it daily. Love the engine and the look that is distinct vs Explorer, Trailblazer, etc. Great cargo room and perfect for weekend trips. Tows the 18 foot bass boat and trailer with ease. I owned a 1989 Blazer and a 1996 Explorer, and this has been MUCH better than the Blazer ever was, and even better than the Explorer (which was also very very good). In 4.5 years, I've just had oil changes, brake pads, and tires. Not a single maintenance issue outside of those regular ones. Drinks a lot of fuel, but I knew that going into the deal. I highly recommend this vehicle and will likely buy another Durango (hope they didn't change it too much).

GREAT V-8 with good sound and more power than the other 2 V-8 SUV's I've owned. Great cargo room and a comfortable cabin. Good size wheels and tires even on my base model SXT.

Hard to find any negatives, but fuel economy is an issue these days I guess. Also don't need the running boards. They are unnecessary to me.