Used 1999 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Fun to Drive SUV
By Mike Quinlan

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my 1999 SLT Durango used with 46K miles. I now have 61k and the car has been flawless. I love the 5.9L V8 engine for get up and go. I like the size of this SUV, not too big and not to small. I love the way the Durango handles on the road and around town. The gas mileage is reasonable, about the same as my last SUV 15 miles per gallon average for city and highway combined. The Durango is one of the best used car values because they can be purchased for a reasonable cost.

Get up and go 5.9L engine, fun to drive, good looks, 7 passenger, nice leather seats.

This SUV has been flawless.

Durango does it
By tntarizona

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

The Durango's are very affordable when shopping for SUV's. I've had no major problems with it at all, only scheduled maintenance upkeep. The 5.9 liter motor is great scaling through mountains with lots of power to spare and fuel economy is reasonable

Comfort and power

dashboard tends to be a little bit too shiny after cleaning when driving in the sun

Frustrating vehicle
By Craig Kiesel

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Durango for it's looks, interior room, and power for towing my boat. Did not count on spending lots of money on repairs which still have not been solved. I have owned this vehicle for 10 months and have had to fix or repair the a/c, rear passenger window, clean fuel injectors and throttle body, tune up, rebuild the tranny, and the still unresolved surge in power when at cruising speed. Very frustrating. Two different dealerships on three different visits have not been able solve this problem. Cannot wait to get rid of this yehicle!

Great looks, stong 5.9 engine, lots of room, ergonomics are great.

Higher quality parts, have more highly trained technicians to fix all of the problems I have experienced.

Maintenence Woes
By Mishel

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I adored my Durango and stood my ground when my father tried to tell me it was poorly built. I have seen the light, Dad is ALWAYS right! It is 5 years old now(and I am still paying payments!), and goes in the shop an average of once a month. If I get it out for less than $500, I am delighted. I replaced the transfer case($3000), speed sensors(3X $300), power window motors, water pump, radiator thermostat, etc, not to mention the typical 'expected' things. Have I mentioned I am on my 4th serpentine belt? I was told they should last 3 years! I think the mechanic has the truck more than I do Anyway, they look good, but I'll never buy another one!

The 'looks'. Love the interior and the 'intimidating' front end. Great size. Comfortable.

Everything under the hood!...and under the dash...and in the door panels...and under the floor boards...you get the picture!

I love my Durango
By mrsvicki

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Had my Durango for over 5 years. I have it serviced every 3 to 4 thousand miles and it hasn't had any mechnical problems.I have had several rear bumper fender benders with no damage being done to my Durango.We drive the family to the mountains at least twice a month it is one of the most comfortable rides I've experienced.I like sitting up high and feel very safe. I'll keep it until it until it gives me it's last mile.

Dependability! Power! Leather/electric seats. Radio controls on steering wheel. Cargo space(no 3rd seat). Center console computer. 3 power outlets (kids can use laptop when traveling or TV/VCR). Hidden storage. Very comfortable ride.

Downsize the mirrors. Better gas mileage.