1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
By far the best vehicle I have ever owned
By Sandy Sherman on 03/23/05 00:49 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We have a 1998 Dodge Durango and it is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned. It fits the whole family comfortably and best of all, we have not had one thing wrong with it. We love our Durango.

Chili-Pepper Sweet
By Bob Gintoft on 03/13/05 22:33 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We really have enjoyed our Durango! Its comfortable on long trips, has great looks, is reliable, and fun to drive no matter what the weather.

Capable truck minor glitches...
By we-dogee on 11/13/04 21:22 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I start by saying, I love this truck. I needed a vehicle that would be capable 4wd conveyance. And the "D" has shown it's grit. From the beaches of Hatteras to the muddy farms of the MD's Eastern Shore, the D has always done the job. Things have not been perfect. First there was the mysterious cracked side view mirror. A mystery until I discovered a Durango Owners Forum online and found that the 98 D had a Mirror glass temper problem. The Dis also a bit under powered electrically. It needs a better alternator from the git go. And she's known to be heavy for the smaller brake set they opted for... Alas, it may be a wiring harness that causes us to part.

Can't Beat Durango
By Dodge at Heart on 11/11/04 13:44 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I had to put a fuel pump in at 55,000 miles and then again at 140,000 miles. At 6 years 2 months I had to replace the orignal battery. At 172,350 miles I had to replace the water pump. At 195,000 miles I had to replace the transmission. It now has 200,350 miles on it and still going strong. The body and color are still in excellent (show room) condition. My sister had a Ford SUV and can't get more then 15,000 miles with out in haven to go in the shop for one thing or another. I am going to buy another one and give this one to my sister. It will be cheaper for her in the long run.

Great SUV
By JTIP on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this suv. It looks better than all others in my opinion, the towing ability and power are superb,have owned for 3 years now and no problems other than new brakes. A lot of issues that happen to used vehicles are from a lack of maintenance. No ball joint problems here,but we don't take off road. Only thing we added was remote start, lighted running boards, and new Michelins. The tires make a huge difference in ride quality. Would buy another one!

No Problems
By soFarSoGood on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought by 98 Durango used in 2000 with 46,000 miles. It's now at 90,000 and I have had no problems with it at all (besides getting it stolen, then returned). Nothing has fallen off, nothing is loose, and I keep it looking like new. The only thing negative I can say is that the gas mileage is starting to hurt. But, who knew 4 years ago that gas would be so expensive. I must say, though, I've not had the terrible gas mileage I'm reading about on here. I've been able to get 19 mpg on the highway with 92 octane, and about 15 in the city. Must be different driving habits. Oh, and change your air filter and keep your plugs clean... it works wonders.

Never Again
By Kelly L on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved it at first, but then I hit 70k miles. YIKES!! Needed a whole new transmission for the tune of $3,600. Now the A/C evaporator has a leak - $1,100. Have had to replace radiator, water pump, thermostat, ball joints, etc. Has a minor oil leak - who knows where that will lead. On the positive, has great room for the 2 car seats and all of their gear, but am now looking into a mini-van, which is what we were trying to avoid in buying the Durango!! Poor gas mileage.

Love my Dodge
By ushowilook on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

First, dodge vehicle i ever owned and all i have to say is I LOVE IT.

Great Tow vehicle!
By grndsm on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got an awesome deal on my 98, back in 02. So I used $$$ left in my truck budget to completely rebuild its front end (all 8 new Moog ball joint). The difference was amazing! Overall, gas mileage was poor (11-12mpg). But I had ZERO other problems with the truck and it now has 148k miles!

Durango
By Max Weltzin on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent design, agressive looks.