Used 2006 Dodge Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

MY Dodge caravan is crap
By Mike

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 2006 SXT new in 07 just after they got rid of the 100,000 mile warranty, dealer stated because the dodge caravan vans were built much better with fewer problems "yeah right" The vehicle drove OK up to 70.000 miles with routine maintenance, accept for the automatic doors, poor design wire kept breaking.

After that The transmission 2,200 rebuilt went due to a faulty over heated converter was on the recalled list but we were never notified but dodge replace it only converter thanks. ECM electrical board went 1,800 AC starter, alternator twice, breaks disk drums, tie rods , front and rear struts 3,000, oil change every 3,000 miles but is burning oil ( maybe or seal PVC val) A/C e-vap unit but we were able to get that fixed for a small fee 100.00 recall ya! Over all with the money we have had to put into caravan I am giving it a two starts over all. The good stow and go, good acceleration, when need it rides smooth if nothing is going on it. Ok in the snow. I should have dump this car after 70,000 miles when the transmission went was a sign this only good up that. I have rear review where people have done well with there's but mine was built on Monday. I will not buy another Dodge due to this bad experience after all said and done 1119, 000 miles we have spent 37,000 dollars over all 24,500 for the vehicle and over all the maintenance and repairs again thanks Dodge.

Lemon of the Year Dodge Caravan SXT 2006
By Bart Tur

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Major problems with the braking system. Axel failed at 14k. Rack & Pinion failed 23k. 5 Alternators replaced last 9 years. Major engine problems, water pump 38k, head light cheaply made. Poor Fuel. Transmission failed 59k, Radiator replaced 61k. Great for taking kids to the park but after extended warranty expires you need a bank. Thank you Chrysler. These van have braking issue due to bad clapier pin not retracking. One final note, The heater cores are known to fail around 100k. My van is currently 95,. Never will I buy a DODGE /CHRYSLER. I am done. Close up shop guys.

Mechanical Lemon, Regret Buying
By chrzanow

This car is a LEMON.
70,000 miles entire navigation and panel unit failed.
100,000 miles alternator died, transmission aux unit blew out, radiator failed, lots of oil leaks.
120,000 miles another alternator died, retractable doors fail, plastic parts on stow and go seats failed causing seat frame to not stow, cooling system leaking, and now warning lights keep coming on and off (ABS, airbag, etc) for no reason.
This car is junk.
I will NEVER buy a Dodge product again.
I should have learned with my 1998 Caravan.
That car’s transmission blew out at 100,000.
Now at 150,000 the computer keeps dying and not allowing the car to start.

Interior style is nice.

Improve design quality. Stop making a car that will nickle and dime me to death.

5 Year Review
By joegiant

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have had "Bonnie" now for 5 years. #1 thing about the van - value. Bought new and Chysler was giving these away at the time so I thought I'd take one since we needed the "family vehicle" for kids sports etc. etc. As noted on Edmunds reliability rating, our SXT 3.3L did in fact have
the water pump go at 45k. The rack and pinion steering was replaced within the first year of ownership. Aside from regular maintenance, that's about it. Currently 71k on the odometer. Will admit, for a lower hp'ed V6, not real good on gas. 21mpg all around I'm guessing, lil' better on the hwy but nowhere near the sticker 26 mpg. Very comfortable ride IMHO. American made (Fenton, MO) which is hard to find today.

Cheap price from the get-go considering the utility of the thing. Shorter size fits nicely in our packed garage. Nice having it inside, shutting garage door and still having room to lift tailgate. Longer version wouldn't work in this regard.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage needs to improve. Has the right features for the pricepoint overall but with prices at the pump being what they are these days, newer vans need to improve in this regard.

Very good vehicle
By CassM

2006 Dodge Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems at 39,000 miles. All minor. Great ride. Cant complain, after 3.5 years. I expected much worse, from reading 'expert' reviews before I bought the vehicle.

None.