Used 1999 Dodge Avenger Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

300.000 miles and running excellently
By Carlos

1999 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

We bought this car with 235,000 miles to travel driving to Mexico in 2008, not only we did that, now we are in Argentina with the same car after 65.000 miles of adventure, fun and good memories. The best buy ever and a good friend to have. I only can say thanks to my car.

Favorite Features

body lines , sport kind

Suggested Improvements

nothing

reliable
By rmmedj123

1999 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have put a lot of miles on this car and it has held up wonderfully. Over 180,000 miles so far and no mechanical difficulties. Oil change and tires is it. Good Luck or Good car, probably both.

Favorite Features

The look of the car hooked me at the start, I had no idea it would be as durable as it is.

Best car owned
By MurdaMo

1999 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got the 4 cylinder (420a I4) auto. The car somewhat lags in acceleration. So I put in some cheap mods (headers and cold-air intake), for a little extra acceleration. The car is best at higher speeds (i.e. passing someone). Very fun car to drive. It's mainly a show car.

Favorite Features

Top-end accleration, stylish body style, safety features and ratings, dependability, fast-sporty look,smooth ride at higher speeds, steering responsive.

Suggested Improvements

The aggressive look needs to be backed up with a better engine. Dampen road noise. Increase turning radius (a 3- point ends up being an 8-point). Make the radio easier to get to (I can't even put a CD in without moving the shifter first). The car is too heavy, needs to lose some pounds.

Overall - a good car
By SiliconJesus

1999 Dodge Avenger Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger new. I looked around at cars from Chevy, and others from Dodge, and decided on the Avenger. Now two years later, I'm very pleased with my decision. Overall, its a very dependable and forgiving car, typical of the Dodge/Mitsubishi cooperative's 'Diamond Star' vehicles. The power put out by this car is generous, but does not match enough with the car's agressive stylings. Still, it has plenty of power to keep me in trouble (generally commuting 45 miles each way on interstates at 80 MPH). Fuel consumption is still good at 32 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine - the 2.5 litre V6 just isn't enough to match with the car's agressive body style.