2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Got a Lemon
By joshmatt on 04/26/14 21:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Tahoe with 99K on it. It was super clean. Within the first 3 months we replaced the rack and pinon steering, and the front A/C condensor. One year later we replaced the back A/C condensor. Then it began to die while driving, let it cool off and it would do it again, all b4 125K. I think I got a lemon because everybody else gets 200K from them. I loved our Tahoe and I am going to buy another one, if I get burned again it will be the last one I buy, but I really dont expect that to happen.

Best vehicle around
By vthokie12 on 12/19/12 14:05 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased LT 4x4 model used with 42K miles on it...now 130K miles later the only thing I've had to do is put gas and oil in this work horse and it goes! I have owned everything under the sun and typically have maintenance problems with vehicles around 100K, but the Tahoe has broken that mold and I could not be happier. Hopefully they still make them like this when I buy a newer one.

Peace of Mind
By F.Rae on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Believe it or not,our Yukon had 160000 miles when I bought it for my wife on Mothers Day 09. Except for a water pump replacement, which was a snap to do myself, we have had no sign of trouble with this Black Beauty. Great ride. Very comfortable. A little hard on fuel but we don't complain. 12 mpg on average. It was as new inside and out when we bought it and still is as new. A wonderful Vehicle. Only one problem. When our daughter used it one day she did not want to give it back. She drives an acura

Solid as a rock!
By LEE on 05/12/10 10:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Awesome truck solid as a rock..I was looking at Ford Expeditions but quickly changed my mind when I read all the bad reviews. I love A GM product. Like the commercials always said "SOLID AS A ROCK"

Will Miss My Tahoe
By SR Cordell on 04/17/10 12:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 02 and just gave to my son with 180k miles on it. Maintenance items were normal wear items with very little in major repairs. I Normally trade my cars at 100K miles but liked the Tahoe so much I held onto it for 180k miles. Miles were road miles not around town. 18 MPG highway when new, and just checked at 180K and still gets 18 MPG highway. Turning radius is incredible, comfort is excellent, ride is "car-like", still looks like a new car. Best all-around vehicle I have owned. Will purchase another when GM doesn't stand for "Government Motors".

Domestics=Reliable
By bowtieproud on 02/01/10 18:04 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

240,000 mi and counting no problems mechanically, or electronically. However, GM discontinued analog Onstar in 2004, which stinks!! but other than that this vehicle masters in reliability. Zero problems, and no stranded or unsatisfied drivers. My Tahoe proves that GM can meet if not beat foreign automakers in reliability, and i hope it's seen more, and more people will buy GM, and mot Foreign. Despite SUV still looks, drives, and rides great. I have 1000% confidence that this Tahoe will no problem rolling over to 3 if not 500,000 miles. Domestics are as reliable as the Foreign automakers advertise, only I've got the physical evidence to prove the above statement. I love this tahoe!!

Overall Excellent, couple of quirks
By Dave S on 01/01/10 11:19 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Amazing that people complain about gas mileage on a large SUV that pulls almost 9,000lbs. I've had my Tahoe for 6 years and will never sell it (I've never kept a car longer than 5 years). ZERO repairs, only maint. The ONLY thing that REALLY bothers me is my Onstar was ANALOG and was canceled a couple years ago by GM with no opportunity to upgrade, even if I paid for it. It WAS one of my favorite features. The most surprising characteristic...the ride! It rides like a car on the highway, very smooth. Power is awesome, and since I avg. 75 on CA freeways, mileage is normal. The AUTO 4wd is superb, trany strong, and the Vortec engines are bulletproof. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Super vehicle
By noopdog on 12/28/09 07:24 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love my Tahoe!! I pull a 20' boat occasionally, and it's a breeze! I'm a big guy (6'4") and I love the roominess. It's also a very comfortable ride, great amenities (all power seats, windows, etc., etc.), pretty good sound system, push-button 4WD. I've garaged it and otherwise tried to maintain it well w/regular service. It has been extremely dependable and very utilitarian (hey, it's a sport "utility" vehicle, right)? If you are in the market for a used but dependable, well-performing, roomy SUV (understanding you won't get Prius mileage, to say the least) and can find one well-maintained, go for it!!

Run don't walk away
By Corey on 09/08/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The transmission went out initially at 75k miles, then again with 97k miles on it (luckily under the 36k warranty). Now with 106k miles on it the flex fuel sensor has gone out, and guess what? It is a dealer only part (quote for $800.00 from dealer to fix) You can buy on-line from GM for about $300.00 vs $500.00 at the dealer (love the markup) All in all I will never own anything from Government Motors again, worst reliability of any vehicle I have ever owned. Which is saying something as I have owned an old IH Scout which lasted longer and caused me less head aches.

THE KING OF SUV's
By rodgerdodger90 on 10/07/08 03:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This I think is more reliable than any car i have had or driven. People think the Japanese make the most reliable cars but they don't. This truck has never let me or my family down rain or shine.