Used 2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

the do everything truck
By big truck

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best truck we have ever owned it hauls like a big truck and rides like large car. The engine is powerful and very smooth. This is the longest production run of a SUV and it shows. Chevy suburban has it all .

Heated seats memory seats and ajustable pedals handles great and love the auto 4X4

It would be nice to see better mileage but I think it already tops the list for fuel mileage but still we get an average 14,5 mpg to compare to others it is the biggest.

Great Car
By brsmith1202

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As a owner of a 2004 suburban, I have only one simple problem, the battery went out the day after I got it. I have had no real problems with, the vehicle runs great, take care of it, and will take care of you.

Feels like it's falling apart
By 04chevy

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have put over 63,000 miles on my Suburban since buying it off lease. Unfortunately, it has been a constant source of problems. Starting around 60- 70,000 miles, things just started falling apart. I replaced multiple suspension parts, a window regulator, a fuel pump, water pump, and some other miscellaneous items, and I am now faced with a transmission job costing over $2500. All this with only 93,000 miles. The interior is about as bad as they come, with badly fitting plastics and cheap everything. The gas mileage is horrible. The power is nice, and the towing capacity is also a plus, and mine seats nine. These cannot, unfortunately, outweigh the cost of poor reliability.

Power, towing capacity, cargo capacity, seating for nine

The interior is as cheap as they come. Fuel economy. RELIABILITY. Stock stereo is very low quality. Chevy really skimped on quality here.

over 100,000 miles on the original tires
By John

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We had a 97 Tahoe we traded in on the suburban because we needed more room I have driven chevys for over 30 years this is the best one yet it pulls well it rides great and is the most comfortable one yet this is one great suv

the heated seats and the sun roof

We average 15.3 mpg we wish it was better but it a very heavy truck so I guess we should be happy it gets what it gets

The Best in it's Class Fuel Economy
By armsdealer

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off, Why are all of you marking this vehicle down for Fuel Economy? For what this thing tows and hauls, including people, you would need 2 Toyota camarys to haul 8 people. Some interior parts are cheap and come loose from time to time, but the space is better than any of the full size imports. This Vehicle is bullet proof Mechanically, and except for the steering shaft problem ($74 at Autozone) This is the toughest, most economical, Extra-Large SUV on the market, and gets the best fuel economy of all of them (non-Hybrid) We moved from a mini van to this and our fuel expenses only increased about $400 a year, that's only $33 per month. Go Drive one, you will be impressed.

Space, comfort

Passenger controls for rear dome lights, third row controls for stereo, Don't include the front passenger window in the window lock feature.