1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Best truck I've ever owned!!
By jbradabadowski on 10/11/12 17:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I use this truck for a work truck. I usually haul from 1500 to 2000 lbs. of tools in the back of this truck and also pull a 5x10 enclosed trailer fully loaded with tools. It now has 260,000 miles and has never given me any trouble other than I had the transmission rebuilt at 175,000 miles. I have worked this truck much harder than was intended for it and it has never let me down. These older ones are stronger and tougher trucks than the newer ones. My wife drives a 2006 Tahoe and it is just not the work horse that my older suburban is although hers IS a good truck. If you can find one of these Surburbans from 1995 to 1999 with the 5.7 engine with decent miles, buy it. You'll love it.

Surburban to 300k
By AC on 10/07/07 11:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Bought at 80k 4 yrs old. Now 10 yrs at 180k...still running strong. One year with $2500 in repairs, but standard maintenance every other year. Replaced serpentine as much as tires, but not sure why. Other than that perfect vehicle. 42 gallon tank...goes the distance. Garage 4 years, in the elements for 6...paint in great condition after 10 years and seldom waxing.

Very Disappointed
By araphel on 08/28/07 17:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I've owned this 97 sub SLT for three years. In that time, I've spent $5000 in repairs and it now needs another $2000. This vehicle has really made me doubt General Motors desire to remain in business. Little things that should be easy to fix end up being expensive. What happened to "built like a rock?"

It's a lemon, but it runs good.
By TSgt Vaz on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I purchase this vehicle for one purpose and it was for my family. They have enjoyed traveling around the US with it. I have had alot of electrical problems with this Suburban, but it has performed wonderfully for me. It has 116,000 miles on it and it still running good. I just travelled 7,000 miles this july. My family was very comfortable riding in it.

My first and only Burb
By Weasel628 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

No major problems at all. Regular maintenance upkeep has kept us rolling along. The whole family (7) & dog can fit comfortably. On long trips, all the luggage fits in the rear. Can Expedition owners say the same? We love the way the vehicle travels on the highway. Will keep it until the cows come home.

SUBURBAN
By FREDERICK on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

THE SUBURBAN IS THE BEST VEHICLE IVE EVER OWNED I CANT WAIT TO SAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO GET A NEW ONE

Sub-par-bun
By Sub-par-bun on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

6 "extended shop visits" in six years. Major transmission work - twice. Head gasket. FUEL PUMP - WIRES SHORTED OUT AND MELTED (fuel pump is IN the gas tank), lucky to be alive. Water pump replaced. Rear end diff work. Glad I didn't buy a 4x4 (twice the repairs?) and glad I did buy the extended warranty (wish it was still in force). Still interested? Good, mine is for sale.

I'm buying a ford !!!!
By p/o owner!!!! on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I bought my 97 chevy 1500 suburban from a used car dealer that is very well know with 46000 miles on it.With in a year and puting 12,500 miles on it the transmission went out($3345.00)the front rotors went bad ($674.00)front tie rods and arms went bad (est.$568.00) I just had the fuel pump go out and computer go out ($933.00)water pump and the list goes on !I must say that the short that happened on the fuel pump and sending unit was in the GAS TANK ! the wires melted ! and if I'm not mistaken red hot wires and gas don't mix ! So in closing I'm trading this car in as soon as I can !

kim's sub
By puppy on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

family car. great for vacations or road trips with kids and friends. garage keeped ever since it was bought. bought car from friend with 23000 miles on it.

Typical American Car
By amccoy on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Our Suburban has a little over 50,000 on it, mostly city miles. We pull a Coleman popup trailer with it when we go camping which doesn't seem to strain the engine at all, even climbing. Overall, we like the vehicle, however, we have experience our share of the quality problems mentioned by the other reviewers. The transmission went out at just over 42,000, the alternator went out, and the things seems to go through batteries every few years and the brakes are terrible. My transmission guy said that it should have lasted longer than it did, however, after reading the other reviews, I see I am not alone.