2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
Duramax'd Diesel with the full Banks Kit
By Duramax Diesel on 11/02/05 14:47 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is plenty powerful on its own with the Duramax Diesel. Tons of torque, a great ride and built tougher than any other truck out there. Lots of room inside. I had the full Banks system added over time (chip, exhaust, Six-Gun and Speed Loader) and this truck is faster, stronger and better than I could have imagined. I get a combined 18MPG and I put the miles on this beast in all the worst driving conditions. My acceleration is amazing. You CANNOT go wrong with the Duramax diesel and the Alison transmission. It will stand up to anything you throw at it.

2500HD trailer towing capacity
By videpoche on 10/28/05 09:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Towing a nominal 10000 lb 5th wheel trailer is a breeze - the truck is working hard but it is entirely capable to do so. The only problem after 20000 miles is that the rear disc brakes failed (bad rotors), but the dealer made good on the repairs.

2500HD LT 4WD Crew LB 6.0L
By Todd on 10/21/05 15:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck with reasonable fuel economy given the size and extensive capabilities. Large 4-wheel disc brakes operate smoothly. Average of 13MPG in mixed driving. Able to handle off-road and deep snow with ease (after upgrading tires to 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's), and still cruise on the Interstate smoothly and quietly. Crew cab great for getting small children in and out of carseats, and rear vents are a nice addition, as well as the heated/power leather front seats. The 6.0 V-8 is smooth and powerful. Fold down rear seats are a nice addition for interior hauling space. The slight styling differences of the HD nicely set it apart from it's light duty counterparts. Great Truck!

Electrical problems
By Terry on 09/20/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Can't beat the 8.1 Allison combo for pulling and towing. Ride is rough. I had electrical problems. It would just die and fail to restart for 5 min. to 3 hrs. then run fine. Never did get it resolved.

Good truck
By pete on 08/05/05 20:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My '02 Duramax has been excelent to me. It is desined to pull around 10,000 lbs with a hitch, but I have pulled 15,000 lbs with no problem. My 18' goose neck is even easier to pull even when it is full of trash about the same weight. I love it.

Comfortable Pickup
By Montana Farmer on 06/22/05 23:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

The most comfortabvle vehicle I ever drove. We bought it because it was shorter overall and closer to the ground than its competitors. We use it for everything and it has been good. We had injector problems at 108,000, but they were paid by recall/extended warranty. Replaced front ball joints twice in 90,000 miles.

Ken's truck
By Ken on 05/03/05 11:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very tough truck in extremely tough conditions (Snow, Ice, Mud) and still with smooth ride. With longer wheelbase this truck is well balanced and apparently has good insulation because its very, very quite also. Added canopy, dual fans, dual exaust (flow master), converted to synthetic oil at 36K and sprayed bed with LineX. Now at 18MPG on HWY, 12-13 in town. Want to trade up to a Durmax but hard to give this unit up.

big bad chevy
By chevy2nv on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

i bought thes truck brabd new and i loved it ever scince i saw it . the big hood looks mean and intimidating. the inside is big and comfortable. the dashborad is cheap and plastic. its got alot of low end power. the only problem i have is withe the engine - gmeblarged the pison heads and not the piston so now after 35,000 miles the 6.0 engine souds like a diesle. but i am overall happy with my truck

gas hog
By smabry on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

dont get the small block 6.o you will get the same fuel mileage as the 8.1 and give up 45 horsepower.I tow a 14 ft enclosed trailer app. weight 4000 pounds loaded and I get 7 miles to the gallon. The gear ratio from 3rd to overdrive is to steep. making you drive in 3rd pulling a load the truck can not maintain 70 mph in overdrive. The headliners on three of my 2002hds look as if they were cut to small.The way the backseat folds down for storage is a joke. I have a very loud knock in the motor since new. The dealer tells me its normal then ask me if it burned a quart of oil every 3 thousand miles.Beware of the 6.o litre it has problems they won't admit to

Reliable Truck
By meanandlien on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have no real complaints about the truck. I have over 25K miles on it and I've had no problems. The suspension is a little stiffer than other trucks I've owned which makes the ride a bit choppy. When the engine is cold I do get the "piston slap" but I have been told that this is just the way the engine was designed. Great Truck