Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

great truck
By alburg

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new in 2000 have 278,000 miles and it still runs great have had to put 2 fuel pumps and one alternator in ten year, not bad. Have used synthetic oil and trans fluid. Changed to Bosch platinum plugs at 79k and now have 200k on the plugs, still runs great. Just bought 09 crew cab and hope it lasts this long. Keeping this truck just to see it roll on to 300k.

great towing capacity and dependability

none

Reliable, Do-it-all transportation
By misterco

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new 9 years ago, have put 98,000 miles on it and still running the original front brakes! Had to replace the rears at about 90k. It's a 4.8L and has had very few problems: ABS sensor quit around 39k, just after warranty expired, but dealer fixed it for a hundred bucks; fuel pressure regulator quit around 85k, and that cost me $300; had to replace the battery about a year and a half ago; and leaky rear sliding window was fixed under warranty. Still runs and drive just about like new. Does tick for about 30 seconds after cold start, and fuel gauge is erratic. Overall a quiet and solid truck. I haul dirt bikes occasionally and it rides better with a load.

Quiet, comfy and solid. 18-19 mpg hwy

Don't even offer this truck with 342 gears! It hunts between 3rd and 4th gear on the highway if there is a grade. That is the only real gripe I have about this truck. Needs a dead pedal for the left foot. Raise the front!

Great Truck
By Tim

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my truck with 9000 miles it now has 80000 miles. It has been a great truck, comfortable to drive, decent fuel mileage (16-17 mpg average) for a full sized truck. The only major problems with it are the rear differental & ring and pinion self destructing around 40000 miles and the sending unit for the fuel guage, just reset the trip odometer. I intend on keeping this truck untill it nickel and dimes me to death. Gets washed once a week, waxed once a month, oil changed every 3000-4000 miles. Looks and runs mint for a 8 yr old truck. Has the 4.8liter v8 automatic transmission and the locker rear end.

Higher quality cloth seat material than most newer gm vehicles. Everything is is great on this truck, probably the best vehicle I've owned.

Better rear differental/ring and pinion assemblies, fuel sending unit, the only complaints I have about this vehicle.

A great vehicle
By silverado

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a great vehicle, one of the best that I have ever owned, and I have been buying vehicles since 1954. The truck is beautiful. The interior and the exterior still look like new after 98,000 miles. I have recorded every fuel purchase and have consistently gotten 17+ mpg in heavy city driving. I change the oil every 3750 miles. All of the service work has been done by the selling dealer. My wife thinks my truck rides better and is more comfortable than her Mercury Grand Marquis. The 5.3 engine has performed flawlessly and will burn rubber any time you shower down on the accelerator. I like this vehicle better than my previous vehicle, which was a Lexus that I also loved.

This vehicle tracks perfectly straight. The engine has unbelievable acceleration if it's needed, and the interior, including the cloth seats, still look like new. This vehicle has never had any rattles. I wax my truck once a year and the exterior finish still looks show-room new.

Needs a driver side grab strap.

Some flaws, but a great truck
By Mike

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used and have 76k miles on it now. There's a slight rattle in the driver's side door occasionally. Sometimes it has a rough shift from 1st to 2nd, but that's rare. My mechanic said to replace the valve body if it became frequent. Otherwise, it's a great truck. More comfortable than any others I've owned (bucket seats), more power than I really need (5.3L V8) and a great ride for a pick-up. I don't plan on having a car payment for a long time.

Tow/haul transmission. Very reliable. Extended cab very roomy, which was the problem I had with the F-150.

GM fixed the valve body problem in 2003. ABS kicks on when it shouldn't if there's no load. Not a big deal, but it should be fixed. I'm not letting air out of my back tires.