Used 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

GM's best-kept secret
By Erik Smith

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe

As a car salesman, I sold these for years, and just purchased one for myself. The 2000-2007 Monte Carlo was a standout in the GM lineup, and used models are a bargain in SS trim (avoid base models). The car, unfortunately, was misunderstood -- witness the reviews here. It was really one of the last "personal luxury" cruisers -- stylish, extremely economical with the 3.8, roomy, and as powerful as it needed to be. A better performer than most 4-cyl cars, cheaper to operate than many, cheap to repair. If maintained, expect 200K-plus miles. Only drawback is the endemic GM midsize steering shaft problem, which can be solved cheaply ($5 or so) with DIY lubing. A wonderful car, a classic.

2-door styling. SS model offers full luxury and sport handling, long wheelbase gives smooth ride. 200 hp in 2000-2005 SS models is plenty; GM's 3.8 motor is one of the great all-time engines for power and fuel economy (30- plus mpg on highway -- no fooling!) Used models with less than 100K are cheap!

A little late for this, since the car was dropped after 07 model year. Would have been nice if GM solved the steering-shaft problem once and for all, but regular maintenance takes care of it. Advice to prospective purchasers -- this problem is no big deal; every car has quirks and this has very few.

Convinced me to buy American
By Beagleboy99

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe

I've owned a lot of cars over the 35+ years I have been driving, and consider myself a "car guy". I've owned mostly Japanese-Honda, Subaru, etc. Approaching a mid life crisis, I was looking for a car to accompany me on that journey. I'm a big guy, and wanted some comfort, and I usually carry a lot of stuff, even some lumber once in a while. I saw the first 2 MonteCarlo SS's on my local dealer lot, and loved the retro look. One of my favorite cars was the 1973 Monte, and this captured that essence nicely but updated. This car was impressively well made (Canada), was very comfortable and very reliable after a 6 month rough period at first. This was a winner for GM, sorry to see that it is gone

Exterior styling, interior build quality and versatile layout. Surprising all weather handling with snow tire and traction control.

Transmission could be troublesome on occasion skipping a shift. Otherwise trouble free after some software upgrades. Home run on this one for GM-they got me back to American brands.

Reliable Commuter
By Curtis

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2003 with 60,000km. I am now up to 280,000km and the car runs as smooth as the day I bought it. Haven't had to touch anything under the hood. Just the usual wheel bearings and tye rod replacements that you would normally have to with this kind of mileage. I have car pooled with people recently who drive imports and I just find they can't compare to the smoothness/comfort of a GM.

Comfort and reliability. Powerfull V6. Great gas mileage if you keep it under 115km/h

Bring it back!!!!!

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo LS
By montewithproblems

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte Carlo used with 98000 miles. Granted it wasn't new, since I have owned it I have had many problems. Heater blower motor and resistor went, ball joint, thermostat, transmission is starting to hestitate, power mirrors only work when they want to, and now the car is leaking antifreeze. I was told by my mechanic that the head gasket is going. I have only put 10000 miles on it. I would worn others to be cautious buying a used one with higher miles. The seats are uncomfortable. The car does look great though and does turn heads. Just wish it was more reliable. This is probably my last Chevy!

Radio, exterior style.

More reliable, seats that are comfortable.

Hey Baby! Nice Car!
By Xplicit Kontent

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last year. All in all, I love this car! The seats have adjustable lumbar support which makes it easy to make your seat have the perfect level of comfort and you have lots of room instead of being cramped together. I added a K&N air filter and add Lucas Oil fuel additive each time I change my oil. These two things jumped my gas mileage from 21 to 26 mpg(city) and 29 mpg(highway). I recommend this!

Lumbar support, spacious interior, sound system, exterior design.

More power, tighter stearing, tighter gas pedal and a better stock gas mileage