Good but not excellent
By docj1 on
2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
This LTZ is the first US car I've bought in over 30 years. Its reviews were very good and it lives up to most of them. For a 4-cylinder vehicle with modest power it is a lot of fun to drive. It is extremely quiet inside at all speeds. I get 25-26 mpg in a mix of largely suburban driving and I'm not easy on the throttle. Where the car falls short is in the quality of interior materials and its fit and finish. The interior plastics are extremely cheap, molded materials that scratch very easily. Interior trim pieces don't line up and snap together well. The overall effect is well below the level of Honda and Toyota.
Favorite Features
I love the Bluetooth connectivity--it works flawlessly with my Blackberry. The seats are quite comfortable and the heated seats and backs come up to temperature quickly on a cold day. A key factor in my decision to buy is the vehicle's ability to be towed behind an RV with all wheels "down." Very few cars with automatic transmissions can be towed in this manner. Given that I couldn't do this with most Honda's or Toyota's I am still satisfied with my purchase.
Suggested Improvements
Upgrade interior materials to the level of the competition. The cheap plastics are bad reminders of the "old GM."