1998 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Blue Lemon!
By Howie on 08/04/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My employer picked up this car in September 2001 and it's been a nightmare ever since. Right from the start, something was dysfunctional in the heating system, so no heat blew to the feet. (And, being from Manitoba, you need all the warmth you can get in winter!) Eventually, that cost nearly $1000 to fix. Then, at 100K, the head gasket gave out (coolant into oil pan, etc.). Another $1000 repair. At 200K, the intake manifold gasket bit the dust - another $1000 gone. Stay away from this car! The heating system is awful, the glove box falls out & the seats are intolerable for anything but short trips. I'd rather take my 1992 Camry than this car anywhere any day! Parts are expensive.

Never Again!
By Morgan on 07/30/09 15:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have had problems from the start. Replaced alternator, breaks, struts. Can not afford to replace the coolant leak, exhaust problem, and rear struts all at once. I did take care of the car...but it is very unreliable. Will never by a Chevy again.

Great transmission and engine
By stillrunning on 07/24/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1998 Malibu used back in Jan of 1999. Since then, the only major problems have been: ABS light not turning off/Driver side window failed/overheated once/rear brakes/O2 sensor clog which caused the Check Engine light to come on. We've taking it from DC to Florida and from NC to CA and back, with a trailer. It's been a great car overall. Never had any Transmission problems or severe engine problems of any kind. I'm looking forward to reaching 200,000 miles on it soon :) You can get one very cheap nowadays. Treat it good and you'll be set for 200K miles too. I'd say it's been a great buy for my family over the past 10+ years. Cheers to Chevy!

Can't Complain
By Mike on 04/30/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu new in 98. Since then I've changed the alt 3 times, starter once, ignition switch 3 times, A/C relay (for fan control) once, lower control arms once each and A/C compressor twice. Also, the engine once with a rebuilt motor but that was strictly my fault. I average changing the intake manifold gasket at least once a year when I notice the external leak. I would like to complain about it but seeing my Malibu just crested over 360,000 miles I don't see where it would make sense. Oh and the cd player in my radio stopped working but I don't know when that happened. It's a very nice midsized car. Still original Transmission.

Driving mine for 5 yrs now
By Dixon's on 03/17/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have had mine 5 yrs now. I loved it at first, but it has begun to wear out. It has a 115,000 miles and is still going strong.

High Mileage Winner
By Tony on 02/25/09 21:57 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Malibu purchased brand new with 205 miles. With regular maintenance and now high mileage motor oil it has been outstanding vehicle. While under warranty I have had to have the head gasket replaced and the catalytic converter due to coolant leakage. The dealership did forget to grease spark plug when replacing 'em and it cost them to repair their mistake for a fused spark plug. It has stranded me only once in all 265K miles when a main pulley froze causing the serpentine belt to break I had replaced two weeks earlier. Head gaskets have been the main issue and took advantage of having the timing belt chained twice so far.

Nit picked to death
By Ron on 01/26/09 12:49 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought for step daughter at 120k, now with 175k. Drive train held up till about 170 with no issues, then head gasket went and tranny that you can not service, had to be replaced. I did not mind those due to mileage but the rest of the vehicle a disaster, abs, ignition, passlock, heater control, ABS sensors and more, majority items where maintenance can not be done.

It's a Chevy
By Dean on 12/13/08 16:33 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Our 1998 Chevy Malibu has been a nice car. But is very average & now at 100,000 it has required several times going to the shop. Leaky oil, tie rod, etc. Good work car

Solid car for the money
By Granite on 07/06/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My first V6. Great pickup for the highway or accelerating. Will coast at 40-45 no problem. Fuel economy could be better, but it stays very consistent 25-29MPG city or highway, which isn't bad for a 10yr old V6. MPG will start to drop if low on oil or coolant, but top them off and it picks right back up. Very comfortable interior, a 3-hour drive doesn't feel like it in this car. Heat and A/C work fantastic. No problems in the coldest winter or hottest summer.

Solid used car
By GMK on 07/01/08 20:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 Chevy Mailbu V6 with 115K on it. This is a decent used car to drive; a solid 7/10. Its pretty reliable and kind of fun to drive. And the ride is smooth. The only problems I had was a starter replacement at 65K and 2 alternator replacements (My dad buys nothing but GMs alternators always need replaced on them - luckily its a cheap repair $250). Brakes do need replaced about every 35K as well. Like other people I've had a problem with the AC switch but it easily comes back on when you fiddle with it. My car gets about 23 city and 28 highway.