Used 1999 Chevrolet Lumina Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Wonderful Car!
By Louisiana Lady

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

The 1999 Chevy Lumina is the best car ever. I have only had to provide basic maintenance and it still runs like new! My Lumina has 177,00 miles on it and I'm hoping to get another 100,000 out of it! It's still extremely comfortable and handled VERY well after hitting a deer doing 50mph! It never swerved or tried to leave the road. The damage was under $2000.00. It took the impact very well. I only wish they'd start making the Lumina again...I'd surely buy another one! Way to go Chevy!

I like everything about the Lumina!

No improvements needed!

Decent Car
By nc3e

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car almost 8 years ago, and it has been very reliable over the years. The engine runs strong, although it isn't the most powerful engine out there. It gets better fuel mileage than I anticipated, and with 189,000 miles on the clock, there are no interior rattles or squeaks and no exterior rust. Recently, we have had problems with the vehicle overheating and the coolant leaks at various places (gaskets are rotting). The steering and suspension can be a little frightening, at highway speeds there is noticeable vibration and grip around turns isn't good, even for a car of this size. Brakes always feel weak, even when replaced, and will begin to pulse on long trips.

Very comfortable interior, good fuel mileage, smooth ride, very reliable until more recently, spacious trunk, high quality speakers, smooth shifting transmission, almost no maintenance (besides oil change/tire rotation).

Sloppy steering, weak brakes, no keyless entry, no inside trunk release (must use a key to open the trunk on the base model), recent problems with coolant leakage, goofy looking front end (bumper comes to a point).

Good for the money, cheap transportation
By Brandon

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 17 for $1700, and I have to say, it's held up decently. It had been sitting for four years in a garage mostly, so I had to replace the coils, plugs, and flush the fuel system, but afterwards it ran pretty well. The 3.1 has decent torque (gets real slow past 45-50 MPH), the MPG is decent for as big a car as it is (I'm guessing 25 average, 27 absolute tops), and I've yet to do any big replacements (AKA Mechanic). Note, it has one cup holder, and it's crap. An Arizona can snapped right through it one day. If it weren't for the poor exterior condition mine's in (I got hit a couple times, no payout), I could be convinced to like it. Beware, handles American (AKA terribly)

Lots of Space (I fit four guitars, two stacks and half a drum kit in once), off-the-line performance is good for a decade-old Granny-car, shifts smooth, seemingly reliable from my experience.

Handling is terrible all-around (the brakes require serious forethought to slow down), steering is sloppy, bits I have replaced were high-priced (Window-switch, power-mirror, turn-signal switch, basically watch out for electrical), and the seat fabric is sweat-inducing, even in CT. Rattles a bit.

Great Car for the Money
By BentCoinReturn

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for over two years and have only changed the oil until today. The original rad is rotting at the bottom and starting to leak... that's not too bad for a 10-year old car. The only com[plaint I have with this vehicle is the unusually wide turning radius... My 2001 Grand Prix turned a lot tighter than this...

Peppy car for a 3.1

After exiting the vehicle I never know whether the doors will lock or remain unlocked... I never leave the keys in the ignition... not event to gas up the vehicle...

My ex Government Lumina
By Chris

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina at a government surplus auction, it had 68k/mi and now has 88k/mi. I was very satisfied when I first drove it,and I still am. It still starts with the flick of the key, idles and runs very smooth with smooth shifting and good acceleration. Steering response is very good and radius is average. I like the brake action from the pedal but think the stopping distance is a little on the far side. I normally get 20mpg city/highway and after fueling up and taking a road trip I got an amazing 29mpg despite doing hard accelerations and 80mph most of the way. I did have the intake manifold gasket replaced, which I was told common on these cars, with other normal stuff.

nice looks, starts right up, idles and runs quiet and smooth, good acceleration and steering response. amazing highway mpg.

I've been critical about the stopping distance, however I probably try to be too easy on the brakes. The brake pedal feel is very good though. Bad battery positioning.