High Expectations... to Ho Hum
By jodeo on
2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I bought my 2010 Equinox in 3/2012. I really liked the exterior. My initial test drive was fine, despite being a 4 cyl. engine. As a commuter car it's fine, but in rush hour traffic it lacks the pep and verve I need to maneuver. As for pleasure rides, it's not pleasurable. It's a dad-mobile. It really is a rather dull car experience despite being attractive inside and out. I decided to sell mine after learning (too late) that these tend to consume oil rather quickly. I can't make it to my 3-month oil changes w/o adding a quart, sometimes more. The standard radio makes tweaking audio (bass/treble, balance/fader) a chore, requiring you to take your eyes off the road. And no compass? Bah.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage is very good. Exterior design. Bluetooth is very convenient for taking/making hands-free calls. MP3 CD player is nice (absent an MP3/USB option or working audio-in line). Good storage in the rear hatch.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the oil-consumption problem!!! Remove all interior chrome as sunlight can be unexpectedly blinding. Make radio controls for bass/treble easier than the multi-step, eyes-off-the-road menu system. The magnetic folding keys are a pain as they either take forever to get them to stick into place or simply don't stick at all. Seats have a higher than avg. ridge, making it a little hard to get in and out. Odd shifting in automatic transmission - not sure why, but probably a computer doing something.
By susanw05
on 03/13/14 13:05 PM (PDT)

I have the 2010 equinoxs as well with the same problem i am dealing with the dealer ship right now doing a oil consumption test i take it to them and they just add oil this is not working for me as i am told i cannot add oil myself just check it and was told i have to take it to the same dealership i started the oil consumption test with, so in other words stay close to home this is a problem that have been going on for way to long and just because we are women doesn't mean we know nothing about a car

By smori
on 08/07/14 19:22 PM (PDT)

You will soon find out that oil is leaking into your engine and that you need new piston rings. Or, if that does not work, they will ned to replace the engine block entirely because of misshaped cylinders. I do really like this car, but I just don't trust it enough to keep it past warranty...

By smori
on 08/07/14 19:26 PM (PDT)

That being said. I have had a great experience with the dealership. They accommodate me in any way they can including letting me choose a larger vehicle (suburban) when I went on vacation and my car was in the shop. Everything has been at NC so far because I am still under warranty. I believe this is the first year they were using the Eco engine in the Equinox. Hopefully, the models made since then aren't having the same problems.