Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Nice for the money
By Mike_in_PVD

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's quieter than my 07 Honda Civic. So far no problems. I have 8000 miles on it. Gas mileage on the highway is very good. I can maintain 40 mpg on a relative lt flat highway at 60 mph. I do not like the spare tire. There is none. Chevy now provides an air compressor with a bottle of stop leak attached to the compressor. What happens if I get a flat when it's 20 degrees outside? What happens if I get a blowout? I'm going to start calling junk yards for a real spare tire. It will fit in the spare tire wheel well. So why not just provide a real spare and a jack?

Comfortable. Handles relatively well.

A REAL SPARE TIRE!!! Heated side mirrors that collapse.

I am very sad.
By John

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan two weeks ago. It is beautiful Sport Red Tint with Grey interior. After putting just 149 miles on it, the electric steering started making a death wail each time I turned a corner. The car now sits at the dealership. When they hooked up the diagnostic computer to it, TWENTY possible error codes came back. Fortunately, my salesman is letting me select another car, which is a shame, because I really liked that one. The 2009 rental Cobalt I am in drives perfectly with 31,000 miles on it. Maybe I just lucked out in getting the lemon?

Love the trip computer, XM radio and larger seats of the LT package. Was getting fairly decent mileage, however, after just 5 days and 149 miles, it is hard to build a case for.

Dump the electric steering, some woodgrain trim on the dash would be nice.

BUY THE CAR - GET IT LOADED UP
By PETERSON

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car. I purchased the LT package with all the bells and whistles. The pioneer stereo is more than adequate. It sounds as good if not better than some Bose systems Ive heard. Love the XM radio. Love the Onstar (Incase of a serious accident)- Has great comfortable leather seats with the 2-stage heat option. (VERY NICE) and airbags everywhere. I got the 17" Chrome style wheels with the Pirelli tires. This car sticks and corners SWEET!!! And I have owned 5 Corvettes!!!! You can take a 40mph curve at 70 and it will rail right around. Awesome!!!Traded a 07 Civic EX and yes the dash was prettier and may last a bit longer but I hands down LOVE the Cobalt much much better. Smooth/Quiet/Awesome

Love the ONstar & the remote start & the XM Pioneer stereo system ROCKS OUT!! Also like the MPG (Averaging 26.8 since I bought it 5/09) Like the fog lamps and the 2 stage heated seats- like the TPMS monitoring system and all the info you can get about the cars operation at the push of a button

NONE!

My Cobalt
By Mrs.P

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt 38 days ago. I only have 803 miles on the car. I get 23.3 MPG... seems low but I work 2 miles from home and don't do any highway driving. Work, home and the grocery store is the extent of where I take my car.One tank of gas lasts me 2 weeks. I took my cobalt on the highway one time and got 40 MPG so I know I don't get as good millage because I drive such short trips. I am very happy with my purchase. I spent 15,000. My only complaint is when the A/C is on, my dash vibrates a little when I am driving slow in a parking lot or backing out of a driveway or sitting at a light! Other than that its great. This is my first new car and I would recommend a Cobalt to anyone!

Fun to drive, good gas millage,stylish look. Great for highway drivers

Vibrating Dash mentioned above and the head rest is tilted down in an awkward position.

Not the same car as the 2005-2007 models
By GMcustomerNoMore

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Used to have a 2005 LT: features, fit and finish were impeccable! Based on my experience, I bought a 2009 LT2 sight-unseen. First impression was the downgraded interior materials: silver plastic replaced wood-grain, vinyl for chrome, lower-quality leather. Engine compartment and trunk soundproofing were dropped so much noisier than the '05. Trunk lid does not sit flush and gaps between body panels vary widely. Trunk floor sags where spare tire well cover was eliminated. Center cap fell off after 2 weeks, a clicking noise developed in a rear door after 1 mo, molding above the driver's door peeling back after 5 mo and sunroof rattling after 6 mo. Goodwrench said irreparable under warranty!

Heated seats, on-star, USB port on radio, steering-wheel audio and cruise controls, trip computer, premium audio.

Don't cheapen-up cars in order to protect the bottom-line! This car was NOT the same car as the 2005: a SIGNIFICANT downgrade! Worst showing from GM I've ever seen. Best thing to happen to me was when it was totaled in a crash with a semi. After 30 loyal-to-GM years, I'm getting a Honda Civic.

• SUV