2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Love the XFE
By Jeff on 10/13/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Yellow XFE coupe for about 4 months and 10,000 miles. I commute about 120 miles per day and average 38.5 and 39.1 MPG...you have to love that! The car is very comfortable and has great pickup when it's time to hit the on ramps. I was about to buy a civic, but saved myself 6 grand and get better mileage. I expect it will be a great car for years.

Happy Camper
By Happy Customer on 09/30/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought new in early '09, had a '01 Malibu w/ over 260k mi. Wanted the XFE, 1LT package. It took a bit to find car. after delivery, I found it comfortable, roomy for that size of car, great mileage, 36 has been my low, 40.9 has been high. I drive 150 a day, commuting to work. gas usage went from 5 gal a day to 3.2. started with Mobil 1 a 5k mi. went 11.2k to second oil change. I drive at 60 - 65mph, keep foot off the floor, expect over 200k and not a lot of cost. good car! also set up car for towing behind motorhome. Great Towed

Two months later
By Happy Camper on 09/20/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

With just over 2200 miles, I'm noticing the MPG going up.. average has gone from 31 to 35. Acceleration is a real kick, and with the windows now tinted black, this little white coupe looks even sharper. A/C works like a champ, and cools the car in about a minute with fan speed initially set at 3. From there it drops to 1, or it's too cold.. and we're talking So. Ariz. The engine runs cool.. about 195 in the heat of the day. The ride is great, and was complimented by a friend who drives a Volvo. I love this car, and as an old motor head, I rate it right at the top with some of my past hot rods and trucks, even my Sentra. Killer mileage, and it doesn't get hot. What a relief.

Immaculate 88 Sentra to this....
By Happy Camper on 08/02/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to the old Sentra, this thing rocks, until you talk interior. The lack in braking with the LRR tires is also a bit of a drag. Got the XFE, and on the highway, it's getting an amazing 44 mpg. Overall I couldn't be happier. I love this car. Thank you GM for not going hybrid, and for building an affordable little mileage monster. I'm also way happy with what the base model comes with. Crank windows, manual seats.. no biggy. I love the DIC, and the stereo is great. While shopping, I saw others that wanted 3K for A/C, and used an idiot light as a temp gauge. Had no where near the gidup, and I seriously doubt they could match the MPG. Also used a timing belt.. I'll take a chain anyday.

This is my 2nd Cobalt!
By C-57D on 07/29/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say - I bought a 2005 because I needed a car (my '92 Lumina Van croaked at 218000 miles). There was nothing wrong with the '05 but GMAC wanted to get rid of their leases and they made me a good deal! The '09 feels like it has a little more power and is a bit more solid overall than the '05. Never had a problem with either car.

Great Commuter Car and Fun To Drive
By Freddie on 05/27/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the past two months I have been happy to get into my 2009 Chevy Cobalt and drive. There are three things that have impressed me about this car the most, and they are the quietness of the cabin, the strength of the engine at 155 HP and the transmission, being how smooth it is and quiet. There is little to no wind noise at 80 MPH, the engine really responds well and has great passing power when you need it. And the transmission is so smooth whether you are going up or down hills or just cruising on the freeway. The base sound system is great and the steering wheel radio controls make it easy to control when driving. There is plenty of cabins space for a two door.

decent value
By petras on 05/26/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I did not test drive other brands, so I don't know how this one would compare but with gm rebates/incentives it's a good buy, good acceleration, good ride and fairly quiet, with auto trans. getting around 29 mpg combined city/hwy, poor rear vis. in the coupe version, esp with spoiler, so far with 5K mi., no reliability issues, check with your insurance co. re: premiums, may be higher than you expect, esp. for the 2 door version..

So far so good
By Cher on 03/26/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Only had car for a few weeks, so I will write another review in a year. I may not know much about this car yet, but I do know that the gas mileage is fabulous. Better than any 4 cylinder compact car I have owned. However, that only goes for the manual transmission LS models. The manual transmission is fun to drive, it shifts smoothly and the engine is peppy. Great if you need to pass someone. The trunk is roomy but the back seats are not. Overall I do like this car.

Hated Chevy, But Now..
By Crystal on 03/25/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In 2008 I purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Aveo. Never-again. I had it into the shop 15+ times in a single year. I swore I'd never buy another GM car until I laid eyes on the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe. I was drawn by it's style and yellow color. After test driving it and looking at the specs, my boyfriend and I decided we'd give GM another try. WONDERFUL, idea. I love its get-up-and-go power and handling. XM is awesome as is 1 free year of Onstar. This car has been completely reliable and I enjoy driving it. The price was reasonable, and the fuel economy is excellent. At 20 miles on the odometer when I first purchased the car I was getting 30mpg and it's still going up. Great car.

Good value
By AA on 03/21/09 16:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great price. Overall good features with the LT package, great fuel economy, smooth ride and comfortable even for a tall person like me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe in WA is:

$163 per month*