Used 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Camaro

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

There are better cars out there
By Nate B

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

well this car is pretty suprising in the power department w/ 200 hp/tq. Terrible handling car in every situation but the sun. very light backend so its easy to slip on just about everything. i got car w/ 20000 miles on it and had lots of problems and replacement parts. decent gas mileage. actually can carry alot of cargo (very suprising). dont try to take road trip in this car. very uncomfortable for long periods of time. backseats are pretty much useless and uncomfortable. read on

Favorite Features

driver passenger seats are bad for long periods of time. hard to get in and out of sometimes.cant see over hood. its ok not bad or good. stereo system isnt anything to talk about. overall you should really like this car before buying it

Suggested Improvements

put some more research into car and dont just throw parts together when designing the car. maybe build inside to out not outside to in. (architecture term)

Great First Car
By PrincessEL

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I got this brand new in Oct. '96 and it was my first car. I could not have asked for a better one. I just traded it in for an Explorer because I wanted more room and a higher view, but I miss the great speed and fun of driving it. Mine Camaro was red and I got compliments up to the day I traded it in. It got nice fuel milage for a sports car, was very dependable, the driver's seat was compfortable, and it was one of the best looking cars on the road. I would recommend this car b/c I wish that I still had mine. Thanks for the great memories Chevrolet. I would not have bought a Ford, except the prices were too good.

Favorite Features

Great looks, speed, the fun sporty feel, handling, premium Bose sound

Suggested Improvements

My t-tops leaked in very hard rain, and the camaro can be hard to handle in the rain. Other than that, mine was perfect

Camaro V6
By NinoK

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

Have owned my Camaro for just over 6 years, and never had any noteworthy problems. Among favorite features: sporty looks and affordable price. On the downside, car feels very heavy, and is not much fun to drive. Still arguably one of the best bangs for the money and if I had to do it again (with my finances six years ago, and my ownership experience six years after), I would buy it no questions asked.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks and affordable price.

Suggested Improvements

N/A - no longer manufactured

Best Car in Town
By go3wide

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

This is the second of two Camaros I have had the pleasure of owning. The first was a Z28 (with the LT1), this a standard coupe (with the L36 V6). Both are a pleasure to drive. The L36 is surprisingly powerful even at the factory rated 200hp at the flywheel and 3.08 rear. Both cars have the 4L60E 4 speed automatic trannine, that has near perfect shift, especially at WOT. The L36 car has the increased benefit of bieng more inexpensive to maintain and insure, and still is a head turner at the car show and at the track. Both cars have plenty of aftermarket and custom performace products that they can share with the obvious exception being the motor.

Favorite Features

The cars look great, are comfortable, and are fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Since GM nolonger produces the F-Body (The Chevrolet Camaro and its sibling the Pontiac Firebird/TransAm) these cars are considered muscle-car collectables to enthusist regardless of age and condition, reccomend high level of care and maintaince.

Awesome
By Crystal Clear

1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Coupe

I haven't had any problems out of my camaro at all. It has been an excellent vehicle. It is very sporty and fun to drive. It's pretty good on gas too. It's been a reliable car. I wouldn't own anything but a Chevy after owning this particular vehicle. I am totally satisfied with my purchase. Thanks

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of my camaro is the body style. It is so sleek.

Suggested Improvements

When it rains or snows the car tends to slde some on the roads.