Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

1st vehicle it would hurt me to give up!
By truly

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that it would truly hurt to give up. I bought it new 184000 miles ago and its been great, Outside of normal maintaince, I had the rear locking differential replaced at 140000 miles. The versatility of the midgate makes it so I can haul 4 x 8 drywall with 12' long 2 by 4's on top of them, sticking between the front seats, all out of the weather. Its great for hauling the grocerys, moving a kid to college or taking 5 full sized adults on a trip. Towing is ok, ride and comfort is better than any car or minivan that I ever owned.

Ride and comfort, midgate versatility, ability to haul adults in comfort

Gas mileage, rear visibility

Would get another one
By Jim

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. I've carried a Harley in the back and pulled a 10K travel trailer through the mountains (not the same time). The plus side of the setup is your friends don't look at it as a truck when they move even though it has all the ability. The only gripe is the 8.1L engines oil consumption is high. One qt in 3K miles when new, three qts in 3K now. Chevy claimed in 2002 one qt in 100 miles was considered high anything less is acceptable. Big engine is great for towing, stomp on the pedal and she jumps even at 70mph. Down side is MPG 11 around town 14 on the highway at 75mph. I would replace with same truck smaller V8 but right now I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

Interior comfort front and back.

Power back window instead of stow and go. We rarely open it.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Suzanne

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My '02 Z66 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Room for kids, lumber, landscaping stuff. It stands out in the crowd with great lines and top shelf reliability. I have never had to put this vehicle in the shop! It's got 106k miles on it and I fully intend to drive it until it just won't go another mile. No, I will replace what ever breaks and give it to my soon to be 16 yr old. I love this truck.

Comfortable, reliable.

You cannot improve the best vehicle on the road.

Love my Avalanche
By Frank C.

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it new & now have 74,000 miles. I love this truck & would buy another. The major mechanicals; engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc., no problems, however, the rear axle bearings had to be replaced at one point, which is the only problem that I have had with the truck. Very reliable & can always count on it. Very comfortable & smooth for a truck. Very useful, like the midgate & the rubber lined bed.

Reliability, smooth quiet ride for a truck, comfortable, easy to drive.

Some of the interior pieces have loosened up after 5 1/2 years, noteably the front door panels, otherwise a solid truck.

2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 4X4 8.1
By Larry Richard

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best riding and driving vehicles I have ever owned. Awesome power and torque. Gas mileage is not bad for all the cubic inches you get. A good all around vehicle. I would definately buy another one.

Heated Leather seats, auto 4 wheel drive, fun driving, comfort and power!

Wider bed for ATVS