Used 2003 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome Z4
By Jim

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The most fun auto to drive in my 40 plus years of driving.

Favorite Features

Style, size, bootless top, ample trunk space for a roadster. A vast improvement in all ways over the Z3 that I had.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a couple more inches of road clearance. Cup holders need redesigned. Everything else is perfect.

First model year blues
By Mike W

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.

Favorite Features

The style. I believe a true sports car should have the long hood and small trunk. It is fun to drive even here in the Florida flat lands.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little less technical before it is ready for introduction to the real world. A more responsive BMW network.

Needs improvement
By Wolf

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Owned the car since 2004 has now 82,000 miles, performed well under warranty, had to replace the motor for the convertible top at 42,000 mi and now again at 82,000. both times the elec. motor short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electr. motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. Car handles great, fun to drive on smooth roads but noisy, and potholes are deadly and my wife hates to put on her make-up while we are driving, rough ride

Favorite Features

Styling, performance and great trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Spoiler too low, lousy cup holders, needs more attention to detail, paint is coming off on interior door handles , plasic is cracking on arm rest and all seals around the windshield need to be of better quality they are all cracked

Good Car For The Price
By oldmarine5

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought from dealer with 5000 miles on it. Also, had a Z3. The style of the Z4 is not as nice as the Z3 but many features of the Z4 are an improvement. Great engine. Smooth with plenty of power. I am 6'2" and , unlike many two seaters, has good room for the driver. Expensive to maintain, but I only drive it on sunny days with the top down. Just hit 20,000 miles. Red color and gets lots of compliments. I am satisfied.

Favorite Features

Power, trunk space, leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like electric steering. Not a fan of run flat tires.

Great Car!
By JOHN

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The Z4 is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. It has exceeded my expectations and I am constantly looking for an excuse to go anyware so I can get behind the wheel and drive. In one word, it is simply FUN!

Favorite Features

Power top, radio with iPod option, responsive way the car drives.

Suggested Improvements

I haven't found any.