Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Rattling Noise, high pitch noise and etc.
By westwind

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 328 i AWD sedan in May 2009. It has 1500 miles. I am extremely dissatisfied with it with the following reasons - Under the hood BMW uses many plastic protection covers that cause rattling noise on rough roads - Rattling noise inside both rear doors - Rattling noise coming from cheaply designed cup holders in the front and rear. - Rattling noise inside the armrest between two rear seats. - Major rattling noise coming from inside the dashboard. - Poor engine noise insulation. The hood surface facing the engine does not have any foaming, unlike many other cars. - Flat drive tires cause stiff road experience. - Poor speech detection. This is my second 3 series, but it will be the last.

Favorite Features

- Exterior design

Suggested Improvements

All rattling noise causing cheap plastic pieces should be tightened. Dashboard contains a big plastic piece for ventilation under the main piece. It is a terrible source of rattling noise.

ONE Whiny BMW 328i
By SpencerB

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall car is fun to drive, the performance is what you would expect from a BMW car. The appointments in the car are first class, but there is one thing that I see lately, which has frustrated me, and many other people on the Bimmerfest forum's...that is a terrible whining noise coming from the transmission or differential....drives people crazy !!! I seen the same issue now on 5 Series and 7 Series cars, and BMW doesn't seem to care about this, but it totally frustrates many people that have spent a lot of CASH!!!

Favorite Features

Ride performance

Suggested Improvements

GET RID OF THAT WHINING NOISE...

AWD Fun
By Bimmer man

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded a 2003 325I for the 328 X Drive to help w/ the midwestern winter. Love the car, more refined than the 2003. A tad quicker, a tad bigger. Little concerned about a front end noise when entering parking lots or the driveway. We also have a 2004 G35X, stronger engine, more interior space but not nearly as refined as the BMW overall.

Favorite Features

Interior - clean design, quiet and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space, better cup holders. Getting a bit pricey compared to alternatives.

Still the Best
By Rags

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent machine! Is a pleasure to sit in and drive. Very good balance between comfort and power and handles like a dream.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, voice control and Premium package.

Suggested Improvements

Could use better navigation interface.

First Impressions
By Henry P

2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is very comfortable (I'm 6ft 2in), feels solid and inspires confidence. I haven't driven it much @ high speeds, mainly around town. I wanted a 6sp manual, but would have had to order it from the factory, so I got auto which came with sport drive & paddle shifters, which I enjoy. I'm only getting about 15 mpg in city driving altho I usually keep transmission in reg drive. I have the sport seats which give great lateral support & are very comfortable. Only issue is with the run-flat tires; I tested the cold tire pressure & one of the front tires was @ 40 psi; mfg recommends 32 psi front, but when I let out air to get to 32 psi in the tire, I got a low pressure warning per the TPM.

Favorite Features

sport seats, satellite radio, optional sport drive & paddle shifting

Suggested Improvements

wider trunk opening (for golf clubs), refinement in either the run flat tires or the tire pressure monitor