Used 2008 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 1 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Great Small Car for Tall People!!
By twolfe2

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car after being overseas for 2 years. I wanted a car that was fast and fun, but I didn't want the 'boy racer' look that the Evo conveys. After two days of shopping looking at both American and foreign cars, I choose the 135, and I was not disappointed. It is small so you have all the maneuverability that you want, yet big enough that I was able to move from Jersey to DC with it. I have gotten many compliments from people on the car, as they are still relatively new. I got the Sedona Red Metallica color, and it looks awesome. Also I wanted a true sports car so I got a manual and the clutch is extremely smooth.

At 64, the main thing I like about this car is that I fit in it. I was unable to fit in the 370Z, Altima Couple, Mustang GT, and Camaro. The only car with equal driver room was the A5.

This car is great!!! I just have a few complaints. Gas millage is just okay, averaging about 23 on the highway. It has two cup holders but you can only fit a soda in the back one, and if you put anything too big in the front one it kind of obstructs the shifter. The side mirrors are kind of small.

Reasonably Practical Fun
By Richard Schollen

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took delivery of the car just prior to the summer and got to enjoy the full on summer experience but wanted to live with it through a winter before writing a review. The verdict: invest in good set of snow tires and the car is almost as much fun in the winter as in the summer. The DSC system is totally effective at keeping things under control on snow packed roads. Switch it off and it's donut time. All year round the power is enticing - smooth and unrelenting -if you keep your foot in it you will be in road-side vehicle seizure territory in a blink. Yes, the cabin is a bit tight and you wish for a few more cubbies and a bigger glovebox but the overall experience is worth it. Practical fun.

Love the heated seats, blue-tooth and I-Pod interface and overall ergonomics of the interior. The car fits like a glove. Surprisingly the trunk is actually useful - even with the top down. The active headlights are useful as well. This is not just a gimmick. The remote key/start system is great.

A few squeaks in the dash mysteriously appear at certain cold temperature ranges. Some cowl shake and the run-flats can be harsh. Mileage - a bit poor but this more due to temptation to spool the turbos than a lack of efficiency of the engine. I did keep a constant 5.5l/100km at 110km/hr on a trip.

What Fun?!
By HWDX347

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I sold my Audi A4 3.2 to my son and drove to Roadshow BMW, Memphis, TN to look at a Mini Cooper S. Drove out with a BMW 135i! They were great to deal with. I test drove one in Little Rock last summer and didn't realize how fast it is. I now understand what BMW mean by Ultimate Driving Machine! The A4 is a great car but the 135i is even better. The car is much quicker, the handling is better, road feel is better and it's quieter.

Twin turbos -- amazing. Overall driving experience.

More storage space. Audi could teach BMW a thing or two in this department or should I say 'compartment'. The lack of storage space is a pain.

1st 1,000 miles
By 1st convertible bot

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around solid, stays on road. Engine has a "low throaty" sound that sets off other car alarms - too cool! Small size is very convenient, fun and adds to the great acceleration. Quiet interior with top up, car suspension handles train track crossings and bumps with ease. In rain, excellent perf both from a handling, sound & water management. I have to admit, it is expensive and very unpractical, BUT it is a kick in the pants to drive and makes my commute fun! To hell with the economy and my crappy 401K perf - let's go for a drive!

When sun hits dash board, red lighting becomes blue - quick top up/down, night time ambient lighting, satellite radio, folds/channels in rag top that prevent drip from coming across passenger window, easy gas cap, pressure sensors in tires - an owner's manual that actually thinks I will baby it!

(1) Can't see LCD lighting on radio w/ polarized sunglasses. (2) When seat belt is taken off there is risk of hitting window/glass. (3) Blind spots w/ top up. (4) Need more cup holders & larger glove box. (5) Seatbelt "flutters" at hi speed w/ top down. (6) Needs tighter lateral support in seats.

BMW 128i - 6 months ownership
By mitiko

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

6 months and zero issues at all (never had this experience with prev. german cars purchased). Everything works well, surprised at how well it drives in snow (took it to Killington VT). If you drive carefully, easy to get 30/31 mpg on the highway (auto trans), but the moment you put some gusto in your driving and you hit 22 mpg very fast.

Great front seats, and very good trunk capacity with seats down (put in the back Queen bed head and foot boards + 40inch TV -- all with boxes. Very smooth auto trans, and great handling (I do not have sport package, but for me it suffices).

1) Rear seat armrest. 2) More trunk lining. 3) More compartments to store stuff. 4) iPod integration good, but should be standard, not optional. 5) 6 cd changer should be standard. 6) No more run flats, add a spare tire, old fashioned way is the best way.