Used 2004 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura TL Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

2004 6-speed manual
By teddygram

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Overall great car. Outside explains itself from the pictures. Interior leather seats fit me well, smudges and dirt wipe away with ease (treat the leather every half year, Armor All leather gel). Only preventative maintenance done, I checked tire pressure, liquid levels, and cleaned outside and inside weekly. Never found a problem leaking liquids or tire pressure. Take care of your car and she'll take care of you. I drive in West Virginia mountains and around DC. Could accelerate easily at 80+mph on uphill mountains without mashing petal. Fun to drive on backroads. MPG is around the stated 20/30 expected, if you're not racing (I don't drive grandma style either) No surprises from the car

Got car at 98k and got in wreck at 110k, car totaled but I walked away while the other driver went to out on a stretcher. Front and side airbags and seatbelt saved me.

No AUX input, takes 93 octane, and rear seats don't fold down (only fold down in middle seat, can fit skis, small snowboard, or fishing pole) Doesn't handle as well in snow on hills but its a luxury sedan so I knew that before I bought it. If you break 120mph handling doesn't feel as steady as my 2004 Saab 9-3 did, but thats only if you want to go that fast for adrenaline rushes :) (not recommended)

2004 acura tl (2yrs ownership, 160K review)
By wuhantang

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

i've had my acura tl for the past 2 years and bought it with 95,000km on it and now it has 160,000km. So this review would be a long term review things that went wrong during 2years: -navigation system stopped working -rear brake light stopped working -driver door lock stopped working my satisfaction: -overall i would buy this car again, all the things that broke were small things that were easy to fix except the navigation (common problem among 04-06 models) -this car is relatively reliable, with low cost of ownership

Nice car bad torque steer
By steve741

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Acura TL is a nice car but with the 6 speed transmission the torque-steer can be annoying. The car felt uncomfortable in the wet due to this issue. I thought the interior was great and bluetooth worked well. Rust was a huge issue on the rear wheel well and just behind the door. This set in fairly early in the car's life. Even making efforts to keep this at bay failed... anywhere there was a spot weld in the fender lip.

I really liked the bluetooth phone. Very usable. I also love the engine and the 6 speed transmission felt great but the torque steer let it down.

I'd opt for the all-wheel-drive of the later models if choosing the manual transmission... I suspect the torque steer would be reduced. I also felt the handling could be better. It never felt as controllable as my Alfa Romeo sedans or Mercedes. Add to the throttle on torque steer and I always felt I was fighting to keep the car transitioning out of turns smoothly.

Smooth as butter
By gerardoesq

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

What a car. This is my second Acura actually. My first was a 2002 Acura RL fully loaded which I got with 100k and drove from VA to FL several times. NEVER gave me one dang issue. After going through several other different brands, I came back to Acura. I never really understood why I went anywhere else. This car is simply brilliantly built. Transmission shifts smoothly, suspension is rigid but comfortable, all electronics work harmoniously, leather holds up great unlike BMW and Audi. The car is simply the most reliable machine you can get for your buck while still driving something that is luxurious, fun (I got the six speed) and great on gas.

GPS, Hands free bluetooth, voice command, touch screen, heated mirror and leather seats, side mirrors turn slightly when reversing, rear back up sensors.

Only issue I have is my left headlight has some water and vapor in it. I plan on having the warranty replace it. I would like to have a more potent sound system and an output for an ipod or mp3 (newer models do have this though)

2004 Dynamic
By claire9

2004 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my TL new in early 2005 and it has been dealer serviced with 110,000 kms at the moment. I have had nothing to service of significance except a new battery and a front brake job. I have regularly treated the leather and it still looks like new. The best tires I have found for the vehicle are Continental Extreme Contacts. Unfortunately my in-dash cd player stopped working last year and I had Future Shop connect an ipod cable to the system for running my music in the car on trips. I have had 4 acuras in my family (2 TLs and 2 Integras) and they have all been trouble free. They are indeed well designed and well built vehicles.

Solid ride. Great acceleration.