1996 Acura TL 2.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

1996 TL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Sort Reviews by

96 Acura problems
By henry49

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

200k mi(9-30-11) oil leak-filter neck gasket, then water pump alternater moter mounts($400ea) fuel pump And relay(stuck on freeway) oil leak on distributor gasket seats crack oil leaks valve cover(numerous)and on cam seal oil burns and smells(must fix) harmonic balancer wheel to alt bad,(must replace) front wheel bjoints radio(cd trouble) I fix one thing then next week or day here comes another, boy, glad I'm blessed that I can fix my own vehicle! (I really ain"t finished)

Reliable!
By Mayra Holguin

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Hi there! I just wanted to share my personal experience in driving an Acura 2.5 TL 1996, in stating that it has been a reliable vehicle ever since I purchased it. I'm still driving this vehicle, and it still runs well.

Outrates my past Cadillac
By Michael

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I have had this acura for four years now and it out performed my previous STS Cadillac. The only repair which I have had to do in the last four years was to replace the muffler. Yes, I was quoted like $600 for a muffler but, what I did was buy one using the internet with a rebate costing me only $114 usd, and then had it installed at a local mechanic for $25 since it was just three bolts to deal with but it required a lift to replace it. Overall great car!!!! I take care of it so it will last, why deal with car payments for a new one... LOL

Excellent after 200000
By kalz

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I bought my acura in 2007 from a private party with about 160,000 miles on it. Since then it's been extremely reliable, the only thing I have spent money on is brake calipers for rear left wheel. Other than that I have had no issues. My car has now 216000 miles on it and it still feels the same. I would highly recommend acura to anybody who wants to buy a used car.

Suggested Improvements

The only downside is the cost for parts and servicing, Acura parts are extremely expensive to say the least.

BEST car ever owned
By Ed

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.5TL used in 2000 with 26k miles on it. It now has 228k miles and it still going strong. My teen son drove it for 2 years, my teen daughter drove it for 1 year, now I am driving it again, and it takes me everywhere without problems. I commute 4 hours round trip (combo of highway and city) daily!

Favorite Features

Quality and design.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumber support. That's a personal preference though. The rest of the family thinks it's fine.

Now has 214k
By upotn pt

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Back on 2/16/04 I wrote a review when the car had 154k. Well, it now has 214K! It's getting a bit tired now, uses a bit of oil, leaks a bit of oil, bunch more rattles and sqeaks. HOWEVER you can't go wrong with a first generation TL!! Best car I have ever owned. I am in the process of looking to buy for another 96-'98 TL with say 100k miles. I'll be giving my TL to my oldest teenager. He loves the car.

Favorite Features

Longevity.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing... incredibly well build car.

Inspire is a great car for the money
By InspiredTiki

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 135k on it for $4k and had no real problems till just recently. Ball joint on psgr. side is squeaking, and steering rack leaks p/s fluid (leakstop stopped it tho). No really BIG issues though! Wish I found a 3.2 (drove my friends one, BIG difference!), but the 2.5 is ok. Acceleration is a bit sluggish, but it is over 3k lbs. Proper maintenance keeps this bad boy running smooth. Just replaced the console with the 3.2 premium wood console. Made a world of a difference in the cockpit!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling (shouldn't have changed it), tight turning radius, and the smooth ride. The cockpit is set up pretty nice too (just need more illumination to see what you're trying to adjust).

Suggested Improvements

Make it quiet! Road noise is bad for a "luxury" car. Smoother shifting tranny would be nice too. Cheaper parts would be nicer. At least drop the price to 3.2 prices. Why is the 2.5 more expensive? A tilting sunroof would've been nice too.

Still Going Strong
By Kenny

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my 2.5TL in 2001 with 27k miles. Now at 145k miles and car still is doing fantastic! Service it every 30-45k miles and this car should run for a while. I have no complaints with this car and hope to get a new TL someday. Hopefully not for another 100,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Reliability and overall quality. Has some minor issues that are common in the year/make/model, but nothing that has made me want or need to trade it in.

Suggested Improvements

Not too good on gas at ~ 25 mpg for a 5 cyl.

A FAN
By John

1996 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 Premium 4dr Sedan

Owned four Acura over the years - all were great. Bought this TL and have put over 150,000 miles on it. Its a classy looking car w/o being over the top. Its amazing that the car is over 10 years old and people think its a newer model. Acura created a design with some legs on it - it stays contemporary looking well beyond the norm. Only repairs in the last 10 years is a new starter(very expensive $600) and new rear calipers. Everything else has been normal wear and tear maintenance.

Favorite Features

Quality, Looks, Handling, exclusivity (you don't see these cars at every stop light)

Suggested Improvements

The newer TL addressed my concerns: Quicker Throttle response, Larger tires, bigger brakes, and more power. Although I am not as excited about the new TL's styling - but that's personal preference.

Great Car!
By Chuck

1996 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt, this has been the best car that I have ever owned. I now have 197,000 miles on the car. The only thing that I have replaced on this car outside of normal wear and tear items, is the radiator and fan unit. That's it! This was my first Acura but you can bet it won't be my last.