2012 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:
Great reliability fun to drive
By bobrosa on 03/31/14 08:54 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Approaching my 2 yr. of ownership with just over 22k. and I still look at it when I park and walk away. Only visit to dealer is for regular maint. Speaking as a mechanic for more then 30 yrs. this vehical is solid, well built, and really rocks in any adverse weather conditions with its SH-awd system. Yeah think Im gonna keep this baby for awhile.

Buyer Beware...
By pwr1 on 01/11/14 06:39 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I spent over $50,000 on an SUV that is all talk and no walk. Everything about this vehicle exudes quality and detail - until you try to go up a steep hill like your driveway. WTF. The vehicle shifts up immediately, then slows down almost to a stall, then shifts down hard, goes 20ft then shifts up again. I was embarrassed as hell, and as soon as I can dump it I'm going to. Don't waste your time or money. I'm headed straight toward a real SUV like the new Yukon Denali etc... this was a wast of time and money and reputation on Acura's part. The dealers know about the shift problem, but they won't discuss it with you (I know an out of town dealer srvc rep that confirms this). Angry now.

Great value and decent features
By sebring95 on 12/07/13 06:56 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We've had this for a little over a year and 30k miles. It was really no more expensive than a loaded Honda/Ford/GM SUV. Normally I wouldn't buy a "luxury" brand for our family hauler given the 25k-30k miles per year we drive, but operating costs on an Acura are a fraction of the Euro brands. Depreciation also appears to be significantly more favorable. Transmission is relatively lazy and you have to keep after it to capitalize on the 300hp. Backup camera is terrible at night. Gas mileage is as expected...averaging 19.5 and 21-22 on long trips at 75mph. Unless you're comparing it to something significantly more expensive or smaller, this is a great overall vehicle.

Great luxury midsize SUV
By mike828 on 08/28/13 13:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After researches on most of the luxury midsize SUVs and driving tests on new Lexus RX350, Mercedes-Benz ML350 and Acura MDX, I decided to go with MDX Elite, mainly based on its performance, comfort, handling, safety features and value. I have no regrets with my purchase of this fantastic crossover since I drive it for almost two years.

Switched from a Volvo xc60 for the sake of comfort
By nelsoncm on 04/23/13 15:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I had an awesome 2012 XC60 T6 R type that was a thing of precision and style. Sadly it was also wretchedly uncomfortable.....rock hard seats, rock hard suspsension. I'm a mom with a bad hip and back who loves to drive fast but I just couldn't take it. So I went for my gently used MDX. My husband has a TL that is still running great at 70K, so now we're a two Acura family. I agree that build quality is certainly not up to some of the European standards. But this should be fine for a suburban mommy mobile that might see light off road duty on easy dirt roads on scout campout weekends.

Not Luxury Car Quality
By bayman48 on 04/15/13 22:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Its an ok car, but maybe I set my standards too high, the quality and craftsmanship compared to the germans or to even lexus is sorely lacking. I am downright shocked, I can see carpet staples, the carpeting stops in odd places so it looks cheap, the fake wood is horrible...some hard to tough interior parts. The service is horrible, at two dealer, one makes excuses, I point out issues and he shows me new models that have the same issues...such as a sticking glove box handle, squeaking at the b-pillar, hood plastic cushions that fall off, etc. Outside of the relatively poor build quality and craftsmanship (clearly not built in japan mind you) its an ok car, but acura needs to improve.

Think what do you buy first...
By carguy1972 on 02/18/13 11:19 AM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology, Entertainment Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

People, if you had "germans" and think to buy this car - think first, this car do not have even close value to what it cost. I will go through it: Motor vs tranny - never mach torque to gear, so looks like you have 300hp for nothing. Make it to up/down hill you will see how hard it goes. ergonomics do not exist in this car at all, just start your search for clock, where it is? you will catch yourself - Im still looking ... while driving right? who is watching the road? SHAWD is a joke, torquevectoring more looks like rawing left/rigt, take it on freeway sport mode full gas - everytime gear change stearing wheel jerks. I can go and go about it. New car value ~ 30k top, just good quality buckt

What are they thinking?
By esw2 on 01/11/13 12:50 PM (PST)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Fuel efficiency poor. Why not use cylinder deactiv like on Pilot. Why not diesel? New Audi diesel sign better at motivating this much weight, efficiency about a third better. Voice tech terrible, useless, must learn the language. Blue tooth phone link also useless sound is so bad can't have a conversn. Rattles, lux Jpnese autos should't. Lots of rattles some almost seem to be designed into the car like the rattle that comes from the pssnger seat belt receptacle or the one that comes from the top of where the 2nd row seat splits. AC and fan direction hidden when you turn on HVAC. Why? Bttns are very hard to use.

Great value for money
By rchary on 10/22/12 08:31 AM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great SUV on the fundamental side. Runs great, has enough power and handles like a small car. But the elecronics inside are sub par. Even non luxury (Ford) has better electronics. For example the screen is not touch screen and resolution is poor. There are duplicate buttons for every on screen function. In other words, navigation screen and the functions available there including audio are a duplicate of existing buttons resulting in cluttered dashboard. Rearview camera is cheap and has poor resolution. Doesn't work well in dark and during rain. Almost monochrome. Wish the side mirrors could be folded from inside. Its a wide SUV and I need to fold the mirrors to park it inside the garage.

Best all around SUV
By thomatl on 07/28/12 21:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Acura MDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We shopped Audi Q5, BMW X3, Volvo XC60, and Infiniti FX35. MDX was an afterthought after a disappointing drive in an RDX (not a bad vehicle but lacks features and feels like a CR-V with lipstick). We preferred the European vehicles' driving feel, but the MDX Advance offered more of the features we wanted, especially the safety features such as collision mitigation. Our prior experience with Acura (CL, TL, TSX) sealed the deal.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Acura MDX Suv in VA is:

$144 per month*