Used 1999 Acura CL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Acura Cl - Consumer Reviews

1999 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

This car delivers
By gabi76

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with 110k on it for 4k. I put on it 70k miles in 3 years and the only "big" investment has been a set of tires and brakes. Still drives like the day I bought it. Don't intend to sell it. I'll never regret the purchase.

Favorite Features

interior finish, manual transmission, great mpg

Suggested Improvements

none for me

Very Reliable
By acuraowner

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car new in '99 and has been the most reliable car I've owned. I get it serviced at scheduled intervals. Driver's side auto window feature has failed. Brakes and rotors seem to need replacing more often than normal. Currently have 95K miles. Repairs so far: brakes and rotors - twice, auto window control, brake caliper leak, brake & headlights, timing belt... Not too bad in 10 years.

Favorite Features

Climate control and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is horrible, makes parking a bit challenging at times.

A very reliable but fun car
By Ian S.

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 CL 2.3 because I needed something reliable coming from a BMW. Unfortunately, my CL was in poor condition, but I got a great deal on it. To my surprise, it was in excellent mechanical condition. A little bit of elbow grease quickly brought its appearance back to life. The first thing I noticed was the excellent quality of the paint and interior materials. I couldn't believe how resilient the leather and carpet was. The paint is beautiful after some heavy buffing and the car looks new after a thorough cleaning! Mechanically, I have had zero problems. The transmission shifts smooth and engine sounds like new. I would highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Automatic climate control, keyless entry and alarm system.

Suggested Improvements

The base (non-Bose) radio/CD is horrible. Also, lack of heated seats on the 2.3 brings chills to my spine every cold morning. I retrofitted the Bose radio from the 3.0 model and have been very happy with it.

Reliable & Sporty at almost 10 yrs!
By JJ

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

I got a '99 CL in '02 as a certified used car, giving up my '91 Prelude. My CL is a step up in size, luxury (leather) and nice power accessories! It doesn't corner as tight as a Prelude, but it's sporty-looking & very reliable. Consumer Reports continues to list it every year as one of its best used car values. Mine has never given me any problems, still has a smooth ride, & feels comfortable and roomy for long trips. I wish there were a 4 cyl. luxury coupe out there now from Honda or Acura to compare to it! Mileage is pretty good-about 28 highway, and mid 20's city. My CL is almost 10 years old but I won't get rid of it, since there's nothing else in a 4 cyl luxury coupe to compare to it.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel stereo controls, automatic climate control, power moonroof, economical 4 cylinder luxury!

Suggested Improvements

Folding rear seats to access trunk,

You don't need the bling for luxury
By dmitzah

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car private party from the second owner. Continually maintained by specialist shop. Low miles for a 9 year old car (87k). This car is pretty awesome. It has loads of power to spare, it's super comfortable, takes the bumps pretty well, and it's fairly quiet. If you drive a lot, this car will take a lot of road wear off YOUR body. I drive a lot on the freeway, and I don't even feel the effects. It's a pleasure to drive and has a lot of support in the leather seats. I'm 6ft tall too, and the backseats aren't too shabby. Really, if you want luxury or a comfy ride, this car is it and it's priced well. BMWs, Benz and VWs are good, but you can't beat this price.

Favorite Features

I like the power and smooth running engine. Comfort, interior design, remote entry, EVERYTHING. I have yet to find something that I can't stand.

Suggested Improvements

A lot of things already got replace when I bought it, but I wish the transmission would be designed better. It's clunky, but I haven't had any issues. Also the gas mileage. If there was a 5sp pairing, that'd be awesome. All in all an incredibly solid car.