1999 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Disappointed
By Wil-Mem on 08/11/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

My wife loves the car but I'm very disappointed with trans. After driving an '86 Caravan and a '98 Buick LeSabre for over 300k miles each with never a trans service, I was certain this Acura would do the same. Wrong. Now it slipping on up-shift & down-shift. Brake pads & rotors do not hold up well. Had to replace left window roll- up device. Poor mileage for a 3.0L. Drivers seat memory has failed even after the seat motor & other items were replaced by Acura. Steering wheel radio controls correctly operate intermittently. Radio was replaced but did not help the problem. White paint is poor on metal parts but worse on bumpers.

great mpg
By 1972wilson on 07/19/08 09:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

Parked the full size truck that gets 13 mpg getting 27-32 mpg with the cl. Solid to drive as well as fun. Couldn't be happier with the purchase

Bulletproof 99 CL 3.0
By azavocat on 06/25/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and its been bulletproof ever since. Nothing but routine maintenance. The ride, handling and craftsmanship are excellent. Similar to my NSX, when that VTEC opens up it delivers a surprising amount of power.

This is Simply a Wonderful Automobile
By Ken Kreps on 06/06/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought new, it has gone from being our first car to our second car and has proven to be an outstanding buy. It's comfortable to drive, looks great, has many great features, gets wonderful mileage (29-30 on the highway on regular). True, for its age it is is a low mileage car (just a few hundred over 60,000). No maintenance other than routine. In nine years we have replaced the tires, battery, alternator, brakes, and recently, the timing belt and water pump. All of these are routine for a nine year old automobile. We will drive this car easily another 3 or 4 years, as there is no way we could purchase nearly as fine a car for its current fair market value. This was a great buy for us.

A Great Value for a Used Car
By joe gonzo on 03/25/08 16:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

We love the interior design of this car. It handles great on the open road and the Vtech has plenty of punch when you need it. This is our second Acura and the reason is their reliability. My Integra is ready to turn the odometer again and it still runs like a top. I do my own maintenence and these cars are easy to work on. The only problem with both cars is the radiator going bad but they are easy and cheap to replace. It doesn't cost 300 bucks to change the plugs either. By the way, the CL was designed and built in Ohio for those who think it's an import and women really dig it.

Nice car
By ScorpioEddie84 on 09/16/07 20:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car around 4/07 from a private owner with 100k on it. They were the original owners and kept the car up well. I like this car a lot and wish Acura would bring it back (currently they have no 2-door cars available). But anyway, so far this car has treated me pretty well and is fun to drive. Only strange thing that has happened is the brake light in the dash... it will not go off sometimes when I start up the car even though the emergency brake is comletely off. The light usually goes out once it has been driven a few minutes. Also the cruise- control light sometimes does not light up at night. I assume it is very minor electrical stuff to blame for both.

Transmission nightmares!
By roadtripgirl on 08/13/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought a 1999 CL 3.0 new from the dealership. Only the dealership serviced my car. Four transmissions at 67K miles. Dealership and Corporate Acura would not do anything on behalf of customer loyalty to make this right except an occasional free oil change. Do not, do not, do not buy an Acura!

1999 Acura CL
By roadtripgirl on 07/31/07 09:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I purchased a new CL 3.0 and only had the Acura dealership work on the car, including every single maintenance appointment. At 67K miles, I had my fourth transmission installed. I am very upset, as neither the dealership nor corporate Acura will do anything to make this right. I've purchased two consecutive extended warranties just to keep from going in the poor house. I strongly urge people to steer clear from the Acuras!

Issues & comments
By KyLarry on 12/25/06 09:08 AM (PST)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Surprisingly wide turning radius. Fuel injectors replaced @ 70,000. Driver's side window mechanism failure @ 60,000. Very nice ride on trips. Overall a very good car.

Best Value on the Road
By Roger on 05/14/06 21:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I was unemployed when I had to buy a car. For $17K I bought a car with 19K on it, which has leather and heated seats, a spoiler, good acceleration, a moonroof, fantastic reliability, and holds its value. No other car has this combination for that kind of price. To think that I could have bought a new boring Corolla for the same price! It's so reliable that I did waste the extra $800 I paid for an extended warranty. I put in 64K miles on it. Only problem was an alternator that had to be replaced after it suddenly died on me. Not one other thing went bad.