1998 Acura CL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL model:
Solid Car
By Steve on 02/23/10 12:34 PM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with about 40k and have run it up to 150k. It has been mostly trouble free. The only major expense was a new alternator. It's a really solid car, now 12 years old the muffler is still the original. The interior has held up well, a few cracks in the drivers seat leather. At this point in time if you are reading this you would be considering a used car purchase, I would suggest it. My 98 has at least another 3 or 4 years of good strong life left in it. If you need a nice, solid two door coupe this would be a very good choice.

Fabulous
By cammi450 on 11/27/09 21:59 PM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2/08. I figured it would get me through a few years until I could buy something "better". But I absolutely LOVE this car. It is beautiful (people think it is only a few years old) and extremely reliable (over 150,000 miles). I have only had to replace brakes and the alternator. I will not sell it anytime soon.

Great Car!
By Rita on 09/05/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car after owning a crappy VW Passat 2 years ago. This car has been great; no problems in general. The gas mileage can be rough if you want to get moving fast, but otherwise, not bad for a V6. (I typically get about 25 mpg in city traffic.) I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking to buy a car that's a lot of fun to drive.

Most reliable vehicle ever... first love
By smootherida on 05/27/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

This car is and will always be my first love. First, the ride is incredibly smooth. It handles well for an expensive honda, and anywhere you drive it will feel like a great cruise. Also has some nice juice/kick to it. Second, she is built to last. With the exception of the transmission, which I've had to replace 2 times, this vehicle took me through everything. I went through a snowstorm driving through Yosemite, Reno, and the Sierras in a span of 2 days (long story) and she never broke down on me during or even after the trip. I had her at 35k and drove her to 185k in 7 years. I have a new G37 coupe and I still won't give up my CL. It is that great of a ride.

Good Car, Not So Good Tranny
By Tim on 07/07/05 21:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Bought the car from a local Acura dealer with 66k miles in Feb 2004 (3.0 premium). Car was (then) mechanically perfect and ran flawlessly. Now at 85k, the tranny is slipping and has been periodically for the last 10k miles. Fortunately, I have a warranty that will replace it. Wish I could drop a 5-speed but the cost would be around 8-10k, way too much money. So except for the one huge problem, this car is fantastic. Build quality is typical Honda, interior has held up great, very nice all around. I'm actually thinking of getting a 2.3 stick as a 2nd vehicle.

Ode to the CLs
By MB Finck on 06/29/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I am a huge fan of my Acura CL. I was really disappointed when the line was discontinued. With under 115k on it, I can't see any reason to trade it in for at least another 85k miles. Was originally wanting the Honda Accord which had just been redisgned, but because of extended backlogs ... I looked at the Acura CL instead. It was fate ... I have been loving my car ever sense.

Awesome car
By Jess on 04/13/05 23:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I think this is about the 15th car I've owned in my life and it is without a doubt my favorite. I love to drive this car! It is fast, smooth, stable, quiet, and comfortable. I work out of my car and drive 30,000+ miles per year. With gas prices climbing I have been driving "economy" cars and went out on a limb to buy this car used. It not as fuel efficient as the econoboxes but I will never go back. I actually look forward to making long trips on back roads with this car. I owned a Miata a few years ago and this car is faster with way more comfort and polish. I had to rebuild the auto transmission at 110,000 but everything else works great.

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium
By Bongo on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I Have absolutley loved this car, I have 95,000 miles on it currently. I've had nothing go wrong at all. Literally, the only money I've had to spend on service/repairs/maintenance for this car is for tires and brakes. One bit of advice that I learned the hard way...stick with factory parts and dealer service regardless of how much money you think you can save going elsewhere. I've owned Acura's since 1987, I keep trying European and American vehicles and always come back to Acura after having bad experiences due to expensive and frequent repairs. I suppose the only complaint I have is that the low beam headlights aren't sufficient at illuminating the road.

what a car!!!!!
By Vlad kILMOR on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

call me crazy,I PUT MY 91 CHEVY SUBURBAN AWAY TO LOOK FOR A BETTER CAR, I NOW OWN A AFFORDABLE , EFFICENT, & FUN 3.0, I MAINLY GOTIT TO SAVE ON GAS, 20/28 CITY/HWY, I'VE GOTTON MORE THAN A BARGIN, I THINK ITS A BLESSING, COMPLETE PACKAGE I WILL ONLY UPGRADE WITH SAFETY TINTS AND MAYBE A AIRHORN, NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED TO MAKE IT NICE, ACURA DID THERE HOME WORK ONCE AGAIN. TEST DRIVE & SEE FOR YOURSELF.

Beautiful car...Wondeful ride
By Dean127 on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd CL 3.0 I have owned. Simply the best car I have driven to date. The car is going on 6 yrs old and still purrrrrs along like a kitten. I have only done preventative maintennace on the car and changed out the tires when they were worn-out. A mechanics dream to work on...the plugs are all right there to pull out and oil changes are a breeze