Used 2004 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used S40 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

This car can save your life

John, 07/23/2010

I bought this car for my teenage daughter, in part because of its safety features. Within months she was involved in a serious rollover accident (swerved to avoid a deer) and the car came to rest on its roof. The car was totaled. Looking at the car afterward I would have believed it was a fatal accident, but she did not have a scratch! If safety is paramount to you, you can count on this car - it saved my daughter's life.

bragging rights- great performance

greatpurchase, 09/17/2010

From the moment I test drove this car I loved it. The acceleration blew me away, not to mention the handling. I drove off the lot 2 hours later. 0-60 in a blink of an eye..I leave the competition in the dust. Handling, finish, reliability. My Favorite features are the rain drop/auto wipe feature,heated seats,audio system. Volvo got it right on this one.

So far, GREAT!

Timscotland, 03/11/2004

My wife drives a V70 D5 a car I have been very impressed by. I am now middle aged and therefore have been required to go for a sensible car. My Honda Accord TypeR had to go and I have to be a grown up :-( Enter an S40 T5 so much torque, quiet (great news after the Honda) 30mpg at 90mph I love this car. Even running in, resticted to 3000rpm, you are traveling at 90+ but as the milage goes on (now at 1100 in 10 days) the engine gets better and better. The 6 speed gearbox is smooth and precise, better even than the Honda with it's award winning box, even if 6 speeds are unnessisary with the car.

At this price it a no brainer!!!!!!!!!

Jammer, 05/15/2003

My wife and I just recently purchased our S40 and are quite impressed. The ride and comfort is just great! After driving SUV's and truck's for the past 5 yrs it is a relief to find a vehicle with accelleration, fuel ecomony, and ride comfort in such a inexpensive vehicle. The interior of the car makes you feel like you riding in a luxury vehicle costing $10,000 more. Our S40 has the premium and climate package and was bought for only $22,000!!! Anyone looking at a SAAB 9-3, Audi A4, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or even a Hyundai XG350, do yourself a favor and look at an S40. You'll find you can save $1,000's when getting the Volvo.

T5 is very unique and great power

Luis H, 04/18/2010

T5 engine is a must have. got it in red and is very good overall. still looks like new almost 6 years later. 1st few months was a rear brake grinding noise that took several visits to replace. Then the sunroof molding kept coming off. turbo valve had to be replaced. 2 years ago my oil trap had to be replaced at about 75K miles. Dealership and Volvo denied this was an issue. Cost $600. 3 months later my wife's 2005 T5 s40 had the same problem at around 75K miles but volvo still denied this was an issue or a recall. 2 exact cars w/ the same issue at around 75K owned by same family on long island not an issue????? 3months later recall issued. now both cars have water leaks when it rains

Performance Bargain

Michael, 03/14/2008

I've been driving this car for about a month and I love it. It makes my commute enjoyable instead of it being a drudgery. The Volvo S40 handles like it's on rails, stuck to the road like glue.Really comfortable. The car feels so solid and well built. The 5 cylinder engine has a surprising amount of power. It really takes off when you punch the accelerator, and yet, fuel economy is better than my Honda Accord. I'm averaging about 32 mpg on the highway. I wish I had bought this car a long time ago!

First and Last Volvo

FtLauderdale, 12/14/2007

I'm not a big fan of this car and anxiously await the end of the lease. It's just not reliable enough, something is always going wrong and the service people act like they're doing you a big favor to fix it, even warrantly items that just should not be a problem so soon. With that scenario, rattles, wind noise, and poor gas mileage (22 mpg), I'll be looking elsewere for my next ride.

Lg families and lg egos need not apply

jece, 08/24/2003

In a nutshell:Solid value and understated elegance. If you want a sportscar or something to "show," perhaps you should look to BMW or Jaguar. This car offers every safety feature imaginable, its reliable, and the power of the turbo engine is more than adequate. Standard equipment far exceeds anything Audi or the Japanese have to offer. This is my second s40 as the s60 was a bit large for what I was looking for. No problems ever. Highly recommended-however, not for large families or large egos.

At this price it a no brainer!!!!!!!!!

jammer, 05/15/2003

What a great car

Dannt t, 03/14/2016
2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Its a great safe car i recommended

2004 s40 t5

laurenc8283, 06/21/2009

This is my second Volvo. And I've had so many problem with the s40, from engine problems to transmission problems... I bought the car with 75,000 miles on it and it had a bad compresser, and a blown amp.. My cd player had to be replaced... All the Major belts have had to be replaced twice.. The care also stinks on gas! I do not think this is a reliable car, and very disappointed in Volvo.. Havent had the car a year yet and im already in the process of getting a new car... Not recommended!

Good!

Ivette, 06/04/2009

Bought it new. Very powerful, comfortable, and fun to drive. I have had it for five years, and it has been very reliable.

Repair and replace

Edwin, 07/17/2003

It is unbelievable how many times I have had to return to the dealership. To date I have had to replace the vacuum pump, steering wheel, rear seat, trunk latch, rear brakes, front tires, turbo, repaint, arm rest, cup holder, and umpteen headlights. I saw the service manager Richard more than my wife.

My wife loves it

Jeff Robinson, 07/31/2003

My wife get her S40 5 days ago. She thiniks this the best little car for her 4'9" body. It is easy to drive and very good looking. She says she fields safe in it and it is speedy. The seats are my favorite I could sleep for days in them. I have had some hight end cars and now driving a Land Rover Disco and The little Volvo's seats are above all of them.

My S40

mhanny, 09/06/2003

It is an excellent fun car to drive. It is comfortable and it has power out on the hiway. Its look is sleek and aerodynamic.

Superb Vehicle

puppytrek, 06/19/2004

Totally Cool! This blows the doors off the Accord and Camry I was considering. Mistral Green is beautiful and the fit & finish are excellent. Safety is my main concern and this car line has it all standard. The center control is like a remote-and there is so much you can program. I never have to turn on/off my lights-it does it automatically! The engine is responsive and great on fuel. I will be travelling a great deal and I needed the safety features that I would have had to pay extra for with a different vehicle (not a Volvo). Drive it-you won't regret it.

Excellent car for the money!

Ken Y., 02/21/2005

I purchased my 2004 S40 on 9/2003 with a $4000 rebate and free maintenance for 3 yrs. The 170hp turbo has plenty of power and the 5-speed automatic is great. This is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I currently have 33k miles on it. This car has features like auto climate control and heated seats that are usually only found on larger vehicles. They put synthetic oil in from the factory so you only have to go back for an oil change every 7,500 miles. This car is also very fun to drive and it handles the road like a champ.

S40 Good but could be so much better...

btp, 07/11/2005

I have driven the car on long trips as well as used it as a commuter and the driver comfort is excellent as are the interior features. My S40 is the 5spd manual non-T5 yet I LOVE the responsiveness and handling of the car in all types of weather - and the good mileage! (way better than auto-trans). I got the winter mats (a must for a New England winter) and had the dealer install - those little buttons that hold the mats in place REALLY should be fastened better. The other nag is that I get intermittent wind noise/whistle from somewhere in back. I dread the first rattle - PLEASE dont be a Ford and rattle after 30k miles! -the fuses for the 12volt were dead when I bought it...bummer.

Fantastic Ride

smokeone, 10/04/2003

So far it is fantastic! We wanted a car with loads of safety features, but we also like quick and sporty. The S40 is all of the above and really not much more expensive than the competitors, considering the great build quality.

Volvo S40 LSE AS R

Mr.Garza, 03/01/2004

Overall a great car. Going to Grossinger Volvo in Lincolnwood, Illinois was a hassle, they have a terrible service center, and when we terminated a lease of a 2000 Toyota Camry XLE they lost the keys, manual to the car and never returned it on time(recieved bills from toyota). Great car for the money. It would have been better if they had told us about the new redesigned 2004.5 Volvo S40. The service is terrible they don't know the parts of the car, they don't know how to fix problems with the car(squeking noise when braking), and they don't know which car you own, last time they brought us the wrong car!!!Don't go to Grossinger!!!

Amazing Car

jwarman, 07/29/2004

I have owned this car for about a month and a half and I love it. The performace is outstanding and easily outclasses the competition in the price range. The styling is great, it looks nothing like the Volvos of old. Also the gas milage is great given this is a high performace car. Volvo has definitely built a winner of a car and attracted a new audience.

Disappointed in Volvo

Mich91020, 02/19/2005

Went through not one, but two lemons. Multiple issues related to technical problems (car just froze) and cheaply made parts (engine bracket broke, yes while driving) and a number of unknowns (why is my engine light always on??)

my car

mike 1000, 05/28/2003

it's just basic transportation. no frills . was in the shop for some electrical problems 2 times.

s40 VOLVO with premium package

zoombaby, 07/19/2003

The 2004 S40 has good steering capabilities and holds to the road well. It isn't a S60 but for the size of the vehicle it performs just as well as the small BMW and better than the bottom line Mercedes. Free roadside assistance and maintenance for 4 years and the manner in which one is treated at the dealership's service dept. are an added plus.

VOLVOLUTION!!!

lele, 10/03/2003

Excellent design and performance

Best car for the price

Ken Y., 10/06/2003

My 2002 Monte Carlo SS was totalled when someone hit me from the rear. I went to many different dealerships Honda, Acura, Subaru, VW, etc. I just thought I would stop into the Volvo dealership to see what they had. They made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a 2004 S40. It has everything except fog lights and a spoiler. The only complaint I have is that the steering wheel vibrates a little when traveling above 70Mph.

BUYER BEWARE

KC PLAZA BUM, 10/08/2003

I really like my car, however, the paint is severely oxidizing on the top panels. Volvo North America's representative would not even look at my car saying it was not covered. The finish is dull and must be waxed everytime the car is exposed to bad weather or washed. I would look at other comparable cars. The yearly maintenence on this car is expensive. Oil change is $75.00, 1st service at 15,000 miles will run $250.00 and the 30,000 mile is just over $500.00. I also needed to replace my brakes at 25,00 miles for $500.00. Volvo uses very soft pads, your alloy wheels will always be covered in brake dust a day or so after washing your car.

Go Volvo

Ora May Harrell , 10/20/2003

Over all as a owner and avid driver. I look forward to staying in the volvo family. For I am eyeing the S60 R. Volvo, you keep up the good work. I checked out the S40 2005, It sounds pretty good. I can not wait to see them on the road. By the way, If you guys realy read these notes, hit me back. Sincerly, Peace,speed, and safty.

Safest Best Midsize Sedan EVER!!!

Taylormommy, 10/22/2003

This car makes me feel safe and secure when driving, especially now that I have a baby. Volvo is built for life and I feel confident trusting my daughter and my own life in the hands of their designers. I could not have asked for a more perfect car, I even had a black leather car seat to match the interior made!!!

One day, it may save my life.

Darius, 11/12/2003

Purchased a Cherry Red S40 w/ Sports Pkg for $20.3k. Good dealership, much nicer than Ford. The car is pretty quiet and fairly smooth. I'm still in the break-in period so I'm drying to push this puppy to 5k RPM after 2k miles. No real complaints except the seat adjustments are much different than the Lexus'. Accidentally ran a red light on the other day and stopped before hitting another car at the intersection. Good brakes. Two thumbs up.

I love it!

KEM, 11/29/2003

It has been really great, very reliable, comfortable, and handles great. It feels very solid and safe while driving.

great car

ZETA, 11/22/2003

I LOVE THE CAR. VERY FUN TO DRIVE. SMALL BUT COMFORTABLE. HOWEVER, NOT RECOMENDED FOR PEOPLE OVER 6 FOOT 4.

very reliable

David, 06/23/2005

Overall the car is pretty safe, it has already been into 3 minor accidents and one major accident. My wife was driving the vehicle on the Autobahn but there was a stau or traffic jam, well she stopped but the car hit her from the back at 90 mph, my son and wife were not harmed at all, just headaches. If it was any other car I don't think that my family would have made it. Volvo is the best, even though your not expecting an accident. Atleast you know that Volvo is built quality.

I love this car !!!

Ozgur, 12/15/2003

This is the best car I`ve ever had. It sporty, elegant, and reliable. I used to had couple of Japanese cars before, they were also good but I can not compare with this car. She got 1.9 litre small engine, but enough power. Built quality is much more better than most Japanese cars. Its reliable, safe and the most important, IT IS A VOLVO !!!

bang for buck

jennifers favorite, 01/04/2004

rides good very good fuel economy getting an average around 29 or 30 mpg on a 35 mile trip to work daily on road with cruise control set on 79mph we got 35 to36 mpg from ga to ind

Best Purchase Ever!

Debbie N., 02/01/2004

What a great little car! Having already purchased a used Volvo wagon, we knew we wanted our next car to be a Volvo, but affordability was an issue. I moved from a Saturn into the Volvo S40, and was surprised at how inexpensive the car was, and how much bang we got for our buck.

New S40

Dude 5, 02/11/2004

I love it. Drives like a luxury car with all the amenities you could want.

My Volvo S40 w/ Sports Package

WilliamLAlsmeyer, 02/16/2004

The Turbo makes this vehicle perform magnificently. It's a little cramped inside, but the trunk, and fold down rear seat produce lots of Cargo Space. My wife traded in her Volvo GL-240, w/ over 200k miles, and only did so because it became difficult to get repair parts. Comes w/ 3 years and 36k miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, including tires, w all routine and emergency maintenance w/o charge. That can be extended. Maintenance costs then, are included in the purchase price!

New to Volvo, I made a GREAT choice!

aglio412, 03/15/2004

Went to a VW dealership expecting to walk out with a turbo Beetle for my fiancee. Instead we got a GREAT deal on a 2004 S40 LSE. The ride is great and the car is shockingly responsive for only being a 4cyl turbo with automatic transmission. The interior is GREAT. the leather seating is luxurious and the dash/controls are ergonomically placed. I'm already so comfortable in it that I feel like I've owned the car for 3 years, not 3 days.

s40

N8theGr8, 03/18/2004

Love the design, volvo is slowly but surely changing themselves around. Excellent bang for you buck with this car.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

David, 05/22/2006

I got this 2004 Volvo S40 as a comapany car. I get a new car every 2 - 2.5 years. Of all the cars I've had this is my favorite. The class of Volvo, the turbo makes this car fun to drive. I drive my company car until it has 80,000 miles then get another. By the time the cars get 80,000 miles they are tired and I'm glad to see them go. But not my Volvo. At 80K it runs, looks, and drives as nice as the day I got it. I love this car. I have never wanted to keep my company car until now. I liked this car so much I got my wife a Volvo S80 Certified car and she loves hers. The dealer is wonderful, they treat you like royalty.

S40 Best Value

bigwillie, 03/20/2004

I had the opportunity to drive my S40 from Atlanta to San Antonio. This was a pleasurable round-trip, road noise was at a minimum, CD-radio system was reliable, braking was excellent, and the adjustable seats were key to a comfortable ride. My purchase experience in a fully loaded S40 was well below invoice price at around $22k. This is an excellent value for the dollar. As a previous BMW 325i driver this car compares favorably.

S40 2004.5

VLUVNIT, 03/21/2004

EXELENT DRIVE AND QUALITY PARTS

New S40 T5 is a great ride

Morvran, 03/27/2004

Volvos used to be too plain for my tastes...but not anymore. From the second you see the new S40 you realize this isn't your mother's Volvo. It has a much more aggressive look than their other sedans (much more so than their older S40s), especially with the sport package. The interior is just as nice. They have changed the navigation system controls for the better. The driver now has more of a joystick on the wheel to cycle through options, which makes it SO easy to use. There is also still a remote control.

Hello Beautiful

swordsman, 04/11/2004

I have only had the car for 2 days,but so far everything is excellent. Paint,trim,fit&finish is great. After 150 miles the motor seems to be loosening up nicely and is so smooth and quiet. Acceleration is smooth and strong. Rainy weather for most of the miles and I have never felt this secure driving a new car in such weather.Transmission is sooo smoooth. Nice stereo and inventive design.Really unique! A safe and aggressive car all rolled into one.

Cool car, Qick too

jgold95, 04/26/2004

Recently purchased the new t5 for my wife and i have to say it is a pretty cool car. we traded in an audi a4 3.0 and to tell you the truth i like the volvo better. i never thought i would say that but the overall look and feel of the car is great. it handels the road well and has great pick up. so far the only issue i have with it is when storing two specific stations in memory they sometimes like to revert back to one another but volvo is aware of it and they are awaiting a software fix. But i do have to say the dolby prologic surround sound system is worth the upgrade. It sounds great.

GREAT LITTLE CAR

CHARLES RICHARDS, 05/01/2004

A FUN CAR TO DRIVE....SURPRISING POWER ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERSTATE...DRIVER SIDE A LITTLE SNUG FOR A BIG FELLOW OR GAL....I MISS THE TILT STERRING RANGE...SHORT RANGE DOES NOT ALLOV EASY ENTRY TO DRIVERS SIDE

2004.5 Very Nice Car

Tareyece & Eric, 05/04/2004

I love to drive, and have been a solid VW fan. But the Volvo S40 with the turbo, it takes the experience to a new level. The handling is far above average in rain or dry pavement and the pick-up is fabulous. The interior is well thought out and does not have lots of redudndcies, every button or dial performes a necassary function and often pull double duty. The space, for me, is very roomy and the seatys are very comfortable. The trunk is quite large and has an excellent capacity. All around, this is a pleasure to drive.

Fantastic Car

lkw15, 05/16/2004

This car has been fantastic so far. The gas mileage is excellent, the ride is smooth, the acceleration is quick. With the premium package and climate package, this car comes loaded for a price right around high 25,000's, low 26's. I commute a long distance each day and this car has been a pleasure to ride in.

Impressed

GECIII, 05/21/2004

My wife recently got a new job about twice as far from home as her previous one and our youngest son got his license. With the price of gas, it was time to get rid of the minivan and look for something more fuel efficient. We weren't even planning on looking at the Volvo, but it happened to be the first dealer we passed. We didn't get any further. The car is great. You can't beat the design, sportyness, power, safety features, and the fun to drive factor for the price. She loves it and has been averaging 29mpg. I had my heart set on a BMW 3-series, but there's no competition. The S40 is by far the superior car.

51050